When does fall egg laying typically start?

Good to know! (I thought when she wrote pea it was a typo for hens or something. Haha. What are the differences?
The difference here is my peas start laying late April and are done by mid July except for some of the yearling hens, if i have kept some from a late hatch the previous year then some will lay a few eggs like August or September but that is it.
Some folks have peas that lay like machines during this time, mine pop out a clutch of 4 or 5 and go right to sitting, i have to break the cycle by messing up their nest , then in a week or two they will lay another clutch, my peas are all free ranged so hunting for a dozen peahens nest can be a real pain in the butt.

Last edited:
The difference here is my peas start laying late April and are done by mid July except for some of the yearling hens, if i have kept some from a late hatch the previous year then some will lay a few eggs like August or September but that is it.
 Some folks have peas that lay like machines during this time, mine pop out a clutch of 4 or 5 and go right to sitting, i have to break the cycle by messing up their nest , then in a week or two they will lay another clutch, my peas are all free ranged so hunting for a dozen peahens nest can be a real pain in the butt.

How interesting. Do you just keep them mainly as pets? Or do they have another purpose? It doesn't sound like you'd keep them for their eggs.

All of the above, they are my pets but i benefit from the goods they produce
big_smile.png

holy friggin awesome picts zaz!!! LOVE YOUR PEAS
love.gif
and your picts!!!

but hey, anyone with fertility experience... what should we do with these eggs... you know if we hadn't already put them in the incubator, I mean im hopefull, but should we not be?

and a question zaz, 4th pict (2nd from last) the way you're holding your hand is that how you get them to eat without just going for your fingers? no matter what I try to hand feed them, they - esp rose - go around the food and peck my fingers anyways. which is fine, it doesn't hurt much, but eating the food would be better.

and a question zaz, 4th pict (2nd from last) the way you're holding your hand is that how you get them to eat without just going for your fingers? no matter what I try to hand feed them, they - esp rose - go around the food and peck my fingers anyways. which is fine, it doesn't hurt much, but eating the food would be better.
sometimes i feed them this way cause they get over anxious and to many of them miss the treat
big_smile.png
sometimes there is nothing in my hand
hide.gif

Ya know i never wanted white peas but my first was given to me and i fell in love with them, same with pieds, thought they looked like an incomplete painting but after having a few i fell in love with them also.
This is my first pied as a baby and now

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom