When does frostbite become frostbite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blue_Myst, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I have a handful of hens with BIG crowns, and with the weather I've been having, the tips of their crowns are becoming an opalescent/yellowish color. It's still very slight, and isn't black or blue at all. Does this qualify as frostbite? They already have a heatlamp and their coop is draft free and the moisture isn't bad at all. I was really hoping they wouldn't get it this year! [​IMG]

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

You could try putting some Vaseline on their combs to insulate them a bit--the frostbite I have first looks white and then turns black so maybe you caught it in time? [​IMG] Terri O in WI

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks for the reminder about the Vaseline! I've got one hen that could really use it I think. . .

I'm just uncertain about whether the yellow/white parts. . .um. . . 'fall off', or don't unless they turn black [​IMG]

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I'd put it on all the hens with large combs--whether they are getting discolored or not. Better safe than sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by