when does peeping change to clucking?

Sorry to have jumped on this thread so late... but I am actually tracking the Peep-Cluck chang-over... I have six chickens, and obviously they will do it at different times, but the overall average is going to close. Right now, our chickens are approx. 7 weeks old and they are beginning to sound like a 13 yr old boy's choir. As they peep, in walks a stranger called cluck and it jumps out. I think in a matter of two more weeks, clucking will become more prevalent. It is funny the two Buff's I have are silent, accept when I try to pick them up. Silence becomes screams of fear and terror, but they are still Peep-screams...

OK, this thread is now bumped again! LOL! and now my cheepies are 7 1/2 weeks old and I can say that I have one buff orp who clucks when I try and pick her up... she's been pretty moody lately..
roll.png
she went from exceptionally sweet to attitude.

they still peep though, the only time I get that cluck noise is when she's mad at me.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I can tell you this, I have 6 chicks that are 6 weeks old. 2 silkies, 2 BO and 2 Cochins....they still peep unless you pick them up then they cluck.....occasionally I hear a cluck or two from the brooder....coop and run not finished so they are still in the brooder. Just thankful I haven't heard any crowing!!

Call me crazy but I've always wanted to wake up to the sound of crowing in the morning.

You wouldn't like my chicks...they very politely (at 12 weeks old) only crow QUIETLY until they hear my voice in the morning. Then, they let 'er rip!​

We went from 'peep-peep' to 'yup-yup' to bok bock braaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhkbraaaaakbroooooaaaaaak. in about three weeks at 11 weeks old

so funny - a roo's first couple of crows sound like someone jumping on a whoopee cushion -
slays me!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom