When does the cock-a-doodle-do start?

mclanea

Songster
May 19, 2016
San Diego
I've got 5 chickens we've raised from chicks that are 10 weeks old. 2 barred rocks that I'm pretty confident are roosters and 3 RIRs that I think (at this point) are hens.

My office is like 50 feet from their coop/run so I'm around them all day. For most of the day they are silent. Sometimes our dog will get too close to the run and they'll make some noise. But the majority of the noise is in the morning when I first open the pop door and in the evening when they are figuring out who sleeps next to whom.

But this morning when I let them out one of them was making the "doooooooo" part of "cock-a-doodle-do." It wasn't a full blown, full volume deal. But it was the first time they made a noise that made me go... "Oh crap, a neighbor is going to say something about that."

So, was this the start of cock-a-doodle-do and I need to find a new home for them ASAP? Or do I have a few more weeks?

Probably the start of one. They crow when they are ready. I had a SLW who was full on crowing loud and proud at 12 weeks. I currently have a Brahma and a Jersey Giant who are now 20 weeks and while they crow it's not loud yet and they just got the full sound down a couple weeks ago. They're working on it though.

Probably the start of one. They crow when they are ready. I had a SLW who was full on crowing loud and proud at 12 weeks. I currently have a Brahma and a Jersey Giant who are now 20 weeks and while they crow it's not loud yet and they just got the full sound down a couple weeks ago. They're working on it though.

Yeah. Time to find a new home for the roosters. (Kylo & Darth) Sad to see them go!

The sound this morning sounded more like a turkey call than anything. Speaking of... a neighbor has a turkey who makes all sorts of noise. Wonder why she can keep that turkey but I can't have a rooster. Oh well. :)

and people have dogs that bark at all hours and outdoor cats who stay anywhere but their yard.

I bought my house in an Ag Preservation area. Roosters can crow all day and the county won't even listen to any complaints.

and people have dogs that bark at all hours and outdoor cats who stay anywhere but their yard.

I bought my house in an Ag Preservation area. Roosters can crow all day and the county won't even listen to any complaints.

Just a lament. I know the deal when we bought the house and when we got the chicks. Hens are fine, roosters are not. Guess that's what we get for naming chicks boy names.

My chicken that was found(stray) in our backyard turned into a Roo after I played utube chicken videos for him. He was so attentive at the sounds coming from the laptop by the greenhouse took 10 mins to start him up crowing, We had had him for 12 weeks with no crows so sound does teach them .Figured he was dumped in the woods and found My wife, ran to her cooing feed me please. now We have 2 hens from chicks, first egg yesterday.

Went back to our nursery where we got them and they were pretty convinced that they only average 2 Roos per 50 in the batch. They think these are hens. Thoughts?

Those are cockerels. Look at the pointy neck feathers. Pullets don't have those. Also those red combs and wattles. Gotcher self a couple boys.

@azygous - yeah, been thinking that about these two for quite a while. But here or there you get a tiny seed of doubt.

Anyway, the nursery said they'd take them back. So I'll call them in the morning... Or the next day I hear cock-a-doodle-do

Back
Top Bottom