When getting a hen broody...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigreyhorse, Sep 16, 2009.

1. bigreyhorse

bigreyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have a hen in a large dog cage covered with sheets for it to be darker (with the top uncovered for some light), I have 4 dummy eggs, food and water in there and she has calmed down since I put her in there. She gets up from her nest wanting out when I come in, but when she thinks I'm gone she settles back into her nest on the eggs.
    When can I put fertile eggs in with her? Would it definitely be too soon right now since she is getting up from her nest?

Alison

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Was she broody before you put her in the dog crate? I ask because you can't make a hen go broody - you just have to wait until she gets in the mood all on her own.

3. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Yeah...I didn't think you could make a hen broody either..... [​IMG]

4. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    uhmmm... its kind of like "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink"....
    a hen goes broody because of hormones, you cant MAKE her go broody. Sorry.....[​IMG]

5. bigreyhorse

bigreyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    she was setting longer than usual and making "crackling" sounds when I tried to gather eggs, but she wouldn't stay on them.

6. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

When she starts growling, and pecking towards you, and refuses to get off the nest no matter what...then you have a broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by