When good guys attack! Crowing at my voice!!!!!

dntd

Songster
10 Years
Dec 4, 2009
Today I changed the chickens papers and my male started to puff up and looked like he was going to attack me, of course he whimped out. The rooster is still young about 12 weeks and no spurs as of yet. He always looks like he's protecting his girls and makes them huddle up together when I'm near. Will he actually attack me when he gets older or is this just a stage? He's a tiny little guy, bantam pheonix/oe. He used to be cuddly.

Last edited:
Isn't it amazing how the instincts kick in? Mine were all purchased as day old chicks and never had an adult to teach them anything, yet when I enter the run or coop with something in my hand that they think is threatening (which means anything they are not used to) the pullets huddle in a far corner and the roosters instinctively position themselves between the pullets and the perceived danger.

Mine have never attacked me, although they exhibit this behavior. When one does look like he is thinking about it, I slowly walk toward him until he backs down. I do not make any sudden movements to get him too excited, but I make sure he remembers who is truly dominant in this situation. This does not mean that he will not eventually attack you. They are all different, and it is instinctive for the roosters to give their life in defense of their flocks, so anything can happen. It just depends on how threatening he thinks you are.

Good luck!!!

He's been crowing alot lately and now I found out why, he crows when he hears MY voice ,my voice no one else's. My kids don't really get to see them because they are under lock and key and I'm the only one that feeds then/cleans them.

Our Roo used to never attack then suddenly he went after my son a few days later my daughter, he tried to come after me and now also my husband. All of us have had to try to show him who's boss ( I say try because obviously it has not worked). I do not know where this behavior has come from. He was never like this. We recently had a few more pullets laying and I am wondering if that is what has fired him up. My advice to you is to watch your back!

I have a Buff Orpington HEN who has "attacked" me a few times. On two of those occasions I just kicked her away. She now avoids me. We get along just fine now. Other than that....she is a fine hen! (But, she still "picks on" the other chickens....who avoid HER!)

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

I have read that if you pick them up and carry them around for a bit outside of the pen area. They get the idea you are head Rooster. Also I read not to let them mate in front of you. They show you that they are head Rooster. I tried this and it worked for me.
old.gif

My one year old EE roo (weighs about 12 pounds) attacked me the other day.

I was wearing thick wool socks, heavy denim jeans, and knee high rubber boots. He spurred me and even though it didn't pierce the boots, it DID pierce the skin and bleed underneath! And it was a bone bruise: it's a week later and still hasn't healed.

In his defense, I had picked up one of the pain in the butt juvenile roos to seperate it and it raised it's hackles...so as I was walking to the seperation coop he thought I/it was attacking him and attacked/flogged me three times. I tried moving him off with my foot but I actually had to kick him airborne to get him to quit spurring me.

So...like everyone posted above me...yep, it could happen. Do not turn your back on him.

I'm doing the Rooster Red program now: I pick my roo up daily and carry him around.

Back
Top Bottom