When is a dog full sized

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nichole77, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I have a puppy that was born mid- January. He is a peek-a-poo. When will he be at his full adult size. He's only about 5 pounds now, but both parents were small.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    depends on the breed..large dogs they say..at around 2 years..small dogs..about a year?..i think?...maybe someone who knows for sure can help..good luck, Wendy

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I'd say 2 years for small dogs, up to 3 or 4 for large breeds.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Really..3 or 4 years for large dogs?....huh....see..i learn something new every day on this forum:)...thanks, Wendy

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Full height will be reached first, for a small dog about 10-12 months. As muscle development progresses, may add a little weight as they "fill out" up until 18-24 months (small dogs).

6. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Generally 4 months seems to be the half way mark, take their weight at 4 months and double it and that will likely be the dog's adult weight!

7. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Talk to your vet. You'll hear something different from everyone on here. You have a mixed breed dog so it depends on the bloodline and which parent s/he follows after in size.

8. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    As the others have said it is dependent on size and breed. Our Springer Spaniel is just 1 year old. he reached his adult height at about 9 months and is now developing muscle and strength to match his size. I think the big breeds can keep growing until they are about 2 and then put on muscle etc. It would seem to follow that tiny breeds will reach their adult size younger so will stop growing at a younger age. [​IMG]

9. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Most small dogs will acheive their height between 9-12 mths. They can add additional muscle bulk up to 3 yrs, although most are done by 2yrs.

For big dogs add about 6 mths to the timetable

10. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Is there a particular reason you want to know? Is it for feeding purposes? Usually a small dog will be done growing by age 1, but will continue to mature ( fill out, etc. ) till age 2+.
    You can feed puppy food till about 7-8 mo. or a year if you want to be good about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by