When is a honking sound concerning?

MaeM

Songster
Dec 9, 2020
Hi. I have a hen who started making honking sounds today. But there is no other sign of respiratory distress. She does not open her break to breathe or anything, and she acts normal. It's just that she is making this little honking sound when she walks/runs (that's why I'm not attaching a video - I haven't been able to catch it because she doesn't do it when she is still).

What can this be due to? Respiratory problem, possible crop issue? I must say that I caught her eating styrofoam yesterday. Could that be related?

Generally a 'honking' sound is a result of irritation of the esophagus or because of something stuck therein. Generally it resolves over time.

Generally a 'honking' sound is a result of irritation of the esophagus or because of something stuck therein. Generally it resolves over time.

How much time should I give her to recover from this before taking her to the vet? There has been MG in my flock so I must be alert to abnormalities.

Is there anything I can do to help her in the meantime? Like a home remedy, something to eat?

Hi. I have a hen who started making honking sounds today. But there is no other sign of respiratory distress. She does not open her break to breathe or anything, and she acts normal. It's just that she is making this little honking sound when she walks/runs (that's why I'm not attaching a video - I haven't been able to catch it because she doesn't do it when she is still).

What can this be due to? Respiratory problem, possible crop issue? I must say that I caught her eating styrofoam yesterday. Could that be related?
What happened to your honking chicken? I have one who is doing this now and has been for a week. Starting to get concerned

What happened to your honking chicken? I have one who is doing this now and has been for a week. Starting to get concerned

The honking sound was gone by next day. One week is too much, I don't know what you can do but you should do something IMO

The honking sound was gone by next day. One week is too much, I don't know what you can do but you should do something IMO
You should get used to hearing it, you will be hearing it a lot. Especially when feeding them, its normal, its usually just them honking to get something out of their thought.

Back
Top Bottom