When is a Pullet's first molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Samilitant, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Samilitant

Samilitant Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have 4 EE's and 2 BR's that are just over 22 weeks old, no eggs yet, and they seem to be grooming themselves lately and looking fluffier than usual. There are just a few feathers around, no more than normal, so I wouldn't think they are molting, but since the weather is getting cool now I didn't know if that would spark the molting or not? Also wouldn't that mean no eggs for another few weeks if they are going to molt?

2. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    My EE was hatched around the 1st of May and has already molted.

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    You will not get a major moult till this time next year. They will do minor moulting but that will not effect their laying. The minor moulting is done a little over the whole first year. Like what you are seeing a few feathers. Get them set up with a dust bath and it will help them alot.

4. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I don't think you'll get much in the way of molting in their first year. I didn't. (I have 8 hens that are now in their second summer/fall and are molting... although not heavily). And I'm still getting some egg production.

OOPs! cybercat beat me to the punch.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  5. Ady Road Chicks

Ady Road Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    How long does a molt last?

6. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ide say about 3 months that seems to be how long all my girls molts have lasted, but it can be longer or shorter.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by