when is it a good idea to put ducklings with a drake?

Brook K

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2015
Texas
I have a pair of Pecken ducks. I hatched two ducklings in Nov.2015. From the first day I put the babies out my drake has gone after them. Ive kept the drake pinned up while the babies are out. Now there the same size. I'm wondering if I can turn them all out together now? I know my drake is going to try and mate the younger ducks. Is it a bad idea to let them out now? What size, age do they have to be to handle him?

Short answer, my feeling is yes it would be a bad idea now.

Take your time with introductions - watch them. Aggressive drake behavior is not something I would allow, since the others' lives and health depend on me, I must protect them.

So, working with the ducks, I manage mine so that no one gets hurt. There is no need for that.

Much of it is up to the ducks themselves, but I help matters by making sure I give treats to everyone at the same time, and keep a close eye on anyone who I am concerned about.

I normally introduce babies around a month or sooner, but I've never had an issue or an aggressive duck. All of my ducks (drakes included) love babies, but they also get introduced so often to new babies and have since they were babies so it's never been an issue.

If I had an aggressive duck, it would be the same as with chickens. I'd get rid of it. It doesn't matter to me how much I like the bird I won't have an aggressive bird and risk an entire flock for just that one. I also hatch out their babies so it's different for me. I don't want to possibly pass on aggression.

Most people use the same size as an indicator. I'd just use your best judgement and watch. What I suggest is to watch them closely if you're not willing to part with the drake. Keep it slow and possibly through a fence first or put the babies in a cage inside where the older birds are just so they can get used to them for extended periods, but so they are still safe.

I've never had an issue with any of my birds mating other birds that weren't mature yet. So, that may not be a concern.

That's intersting. Thanks for the feed back. My drake is the father to the younger ducks. They do fine with momma duck and my geese. I hate that I have to keep him pinned up all the time. Breeding aggression hasn't intered my mind. I'm new with ducks but that makes sense so I'm thinking he needs to be put in the freezer. He's almost a yr old now and I'm getting ready to get a few more younger ducks. He's just going to be a problem so I think its time for some duck dressing.

I'm sorry. It could be because he's not used to other ducks. Especially being only the two he may needs more time. All of my females are more dominant than the males always. They are the ones that correct the babies here. Mine have also always had a steady stream of new ducks or chicks entering the picture so that's what's normal for mine. I can't say what is normal other than what is my normal. That may not be the norm for everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom