When is it time to say good-bye?

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
Hi all. I know this is a question where the answer will be different for everyone, but I’m hoping to receive some feedback from anyone who has euthanized their pet chicken. I’m looking for your own personal opinions & experiences on making this decision. I’m not looking for treatment advice or diagnosis help. I’m past that stage.

I have never culled a chicken, but recognize that it is something I will inevitably need to do. I’ve done my homework, and believe I’m as prepared as I can be.

My ISA brown hen is nearing the end of her life. She has what I suspect to be a large tumor growing inside her. She’s been gradually slowly down. For the past week or so, she’s stopped roosting at night (I don’t think she can get up there anymore) and sleeps under the nest boxes instead. She doesn’t leave the coop until mid-day. She is eating & drinking, but spends a lot of her time fluffed up and/or sleeping. She was perking up for special garden-privileges and worm-hunting with me - chowing down on bugs under rocks I lifted for her. But I’m the last day, she seems to be losing interest in that, too.

Today she never left the coop (granted it’s rainy & cold today- I don’t entirely blame her). I’ve been hanging out with her with a plate of her favorite treats. She munches, naps for a few minutes, wakes up and munches, etc… The other chickens aren’t bothering her, so I think she’s happiest with them.

How do you personally decide when it’s time to say good-bye vs letting an ailing chicken die on their own terms?

Attachments

• 66DC9DCC-AD27-4100-80C8-91888FBB914B.jpeg
    66DC9DCC-AD27-4100-80C8-91888FBB914B.jpeg
    725.4 KB · Views: 18
I haven't had to do this with my hens yet, but plenty of times with other pets. My preference is to let them go when there are more bad days than good. I worked for a vet hospital for 15 years and saw more than a few dogs and cats brought in when they clearly had been suffering for days, if not weeks. I personally would rather do it a week too soon, than a day too late. After all the point of euthanasia is to relieve suffering and pain. It sounds to me like her time is near. My heart goes out to you.

If they seem to be suffering, or getting to the point they will soon suffer… it’s never time. They will never be ready. Sometimes if you know they will never get better, and are only getting worse, you just need to do it. Your heart will shatter, but then you can finally heal. Hanging on will only bring more pain and anxiety… Your heart needs to break for it to mend

I have little experience with chickens, but lots with other beloved pets unfortunately. My advice is:

Trust your gut.

Myself, I always observe behavior against the baseline of what you know about your animal. When there is no quality of life, then its time. And I gauge QoL by how much the animal is doing the things she always enjoyed before (i.e. eating, playing, going outdoors and walking around, etc). When zest for life fades, then I feel like they are just suffering. Then its our blessing and curse to be able to give our beloved pets merciful peace.

I am sorry you are reaching that point with her. Its always hard to say goodbye, and even harder to have to do it yourself. I hope you can find peace with this tough choice. Remember, that you are doing the very best you can by her, so please by kind to yourself as well. Whatever you decide, it will be the right thing in this circumstance.:hugs

I ask Jesus to usually take their life or heal them, its normally all resolved within a day or few. Thats just what i do for hard decisions, like this prolapsed quail died, and my hen got better after passing egg without membrane, and this quail with a broken leg healed etc
It sounds like shell pass naturally soon from the sounds of it if ud rather wait

I know it's not easy as I had to just do this today 😪, my silkie roo Abner had been in an altercation with my lite bit bigger silke roo Poppy. He was injured & hopping & still getting around, but we still separated him & he was with our Bantam hen who lost her sister... He was thriving, but then he seemed to go down hill so I brought him to the hospital (house) where he was with his daughter, they did well, but I did not like how he just was not getting better, even made him a swing/suspension. Well I was finally able to get him to a different vet today & it was just better to say goodbye. You will just know in your heart, trust me. I wanted to let him go sooner, but had to at least try one more time. Hugs my sweet friend we are here if & when you need us.

Attachments

• 20210709_184301.jpg
    20210709_184301.jpg
    766.1 KB · Views: 3
When they're visibly suffering, I'll put them down. I had a hen that had really bad water belly, I didn't detect early enough. She was very swollen in the abdomen, it was like she was trying to carry around a ten pound basket ball in her belly. She was so weighed down, she'd stand like a penguin, or lay down.

I put her down that day, it looked like she wouldn't make it through the night.

That was sometime this year, if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom