When is it too late to set eggs?

JustMandy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
I live in KY. Our winters can get cold. I'd like to set eggs in the next few weeks.

The the chicks will move to a coop outside asap. (The chickens I have now moved outside at 8 weeks in April. It was chilly at night so we put a 150 watt lightbulb out there.

Will I be able to move them out in mid-late fall? Will a lightbulb be enough heat?

Well if you can keep them inside through the winter it is never too late!!!
BUT

I you want to put them outside before then I would hafta say you need to be setting them within the next WEEK! as you figure you set them a week from now that means it is September 25 before they hatch the come November they will be 2months old and have their feathers before the frost hits. It also gives them a little time to adjust to being outside before SNOW!!
I live in Indiana and I set mine on Sunday as I WILL not keep them in all winter.

Hope this helps you decide
It is your decision obviously But
inside or out for winter? that is the ????
big_smile.png

Well I am in Va. and our winter doesn't really start or at least start getting cold here until the end of Oct. for cool nights and a think jacket during the day..so if it's like here I would set the hen now...because by then they will be feathered out enough to have a small light on them at night....tricky, but I would give it a try....you might just have to increase the wattage of the bulb. However, I will NOT have them in my house through out the winter......

Well, they will not be inside all winter! We could barely handle the 8 weeks.

Our winter sounds similar to NoVa. Dh is doing a coop remodel that includes a heater...I guess we can give it a try and if it fails, try again in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom