When is safe to change chicken feed and to what?

lilblackbear

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2017
Our chickens are 3 months old and I need to buy feed. My question is should I get more chick feed? If so medicated or unmedicated? Or should I start them on laying feed? I see where people sometimes feed layers game bird feed because of the higher protein? Would live opinions want to do what's best for my girls. Thanks in advance.

You should be able to transition to a non-medicated grower, or an all-flock feed. I use Flock Raiser for everyone, with oyster shell on the side for the actively laying hens. It's easiest for my flock, no transition necessary. Your birds could change to a layer feed when they are all in lay, but wait until then. Mary

May I ask what to look for in a chick feed? And why wait for the first egg? It looks like this batch will mature in winter (October?), so do I continue through the low light days with the chick feed until spring has sprung?

Is this the same for the meat birds?

The excitement builds...

Kiki - I see you are in Houston. I'm on the east side. May I ask where your preferred place to get feed is? I've got a couple feed stores, Tractor Supply and then amazon is always available, for a price. I'm wading through to see if one brand is better. Sounds like they are all balanced. Price shopping to come.

Thank you for the response - calcium makes sense. Too much is not good for puppies either and causes bone issues. That means to stay on the chick feed until spring. I've got a mixed flock and the meat birds may mean switching to a high protein.

Cheers

I purchase feed at a local mom n pop feed store on the south side of town, just off of the Beltway.
I use a brand that is produced right here in Texas just outside of Houston.
http://www.m-ginc.com

I ferment the feed too!

Back
Top Bottom