When is the best time to introduce the Nesting Box?

Phenix7d7d

Chirping
Mar 14, 2023
Hi Chicken Folks,

We have a wonderful coop (my wife designed the whole thing and we all pitched in to build it). It's an open-air, water proof cozy abode and it's holding up nicely. It's amazing! I'll include pictures soon.

The baby chickens moved outside, and into the coop last week. They love their home. We've also had fun taking them out in the yard for walks while we garden.

Here's the big question: When is the best time to install the nesting boxes? The chickens are only 2 1/2 months old. It is way too soon for them to lay eggs. We have the space for the nesting boxes. However, we've read and seen videos with conflicting info on introducing the Nesting Boxes too soon. Right now they all (only 4 of them) sleep on a perch next to each other. They seem to be extremely happy every night.

My wife is concerned that they will sleep in the Nesting Boxes and be confused. I thought we should put the nesting boxes in as soon as possible so they can get comfortable and familiar with Nesting Boxes in their living space.

Please offer any guidance here. We have the Nesting Boxes ready to just pop them in.

Hi Chicken Folks,

We have a wonderful coop (my wife designed the whole thing and we all pitched in to build it). It's an open-air, water proof cozy abode and it's holding up nicely. It's amazing! I'll include pictures soon.

The baby chickens moved outside, and into the coop last week. They love their home. We've also had fun taking them out in the yard for walks while we garden.

Here's the big question: When is the best time to install the nesting boxes? The chickens are only 2 1/2 months old. It is way too soon for them to lay eggs. We have the space for the nesting boxes. However, we've read and seen videos with conflicting info on introducing the Nesting Boxes too soon. Right now they all (only 4 of them) sleep on a perch next to each other. They seem to be extremely happy every night.

My wife is concerned that they will sleep in the Nesting Boxes and be confused. I thought we should put the nesting boxes in as soon as possible so they can get comfortable and familiar with Nesting Boxes in their living space.

Please offer any guidance here. We have the Nesting Boxes ready to just pop them in.
My chickens had access to nesting boxes the first day they got into the coop. Never had a sleeping problem except for a few of my ducks haha.

My guess is (if we pop the boxes in now we'll be okay) and our birds will continue to sleep on their perch. They LOVE the perch. They crack me up every morning when I wake them up. They stretch and shake their legs. It's very cute. I cannot be 100%, but they seem genuinely happy to see me. 🤣

However, my wife is concerned they will sleep in the boxes. So we haven't put them in yet.

My only concern, which may be silly, is that I want them to get used having the boxes in their living space. I don't want them to eventually start laying in random places. I've read horror stories.

You could put in the nestboxes and see what happens.

If they sleep in the boxes, maybe put cardboard over the boxes for a while to make them stop (less bother than taking the nestboxes back out again.)

And if you build the boxes now, you won't be scrambling if life gets busy at a later time.

My only concern, which may be silly, is that I want them to get used having the boxes in their living space. I don't want them to eventually start laying in random places.
Add the nesting boxes around 14 weeks old with fake eggs in the nests.. that should give plenty of time for them to check them out before onset of lay.. show them where a safe space is.. and if need be.. as laying starts to commence put them on lock up for a week or two.. only free ranging the garden late in the day to train them where to lay.

No amount of having lay boxes can stop a hen who's determined from laying random places. Sometimes it's pecking order related. Other times simply because they have deep ingrained instinct to hide their nest from predators.. this is where the fake eggs really help and also helps detour curiosity pecks and broken eggs or egg eaters caused by youngsters getting bored in their space.

Right now they all (only 4 of them) sleep on a perch next to each other. They seem to be extremely happy every night.
They won't start sleeping lower than the perch they're already accustomed to UNLESS they've gone broody.

I still don't like them hanging out while their bored during the day inside the boxes.

New coop sounds comfy.

Please understand that with so many things the conflicting information is due to the variations in our set up, personal practice, individual birds, flocks, weather patterns, etc.. what works for some may or may not work for another. Figuring out what works for you is part of the adventure! :wee

I would put them in now - it gives the chicks a chance to explore them and get used to them, so when the time comes they'll hopefully remember that they've already seen a good spot to lay. I've never had an issue with chicks sleeping in nest boxes, and it's better to know in advance if they're inclined to so you can address it (which given that yours are roosting consistently, should not be an issue).

Add the nesting boxes around 14 weeks old with fake eggs in the nests.. that should give plenty of time for them to check them out before onset of lay.. show them where a safe space is.. and if need be.. as laying starts to commence put them on lock up for a week or two.. only free ranging the garden late in the day to train them where to lay.

No amount of having lay boxes can stop a hen who's determined from laying random places. Sometimes it's pecking order related. Other times simply because they have deep ingrained instinct to hide their nest from predators.. this is where the fake eggs really help and also helps detour curiosity pecks and broken eggs or egg eaters caused by youngsters getting bored in their space.

They won't start sleeping lower than the perch they're already accustomed to UNLESS they've gone broody.

I still don't like them hanging out while their bored during the day inside the boxes.

New coop sounds comfy.

Please understand that with so many things the conflicting information is due to the variations in our set up, personal practice, individual birds, flocks, weather patterns, etc.. what works for some may or may not work for another. Figuring out what works for you is part of the adventure! :wee
I have a similar question. We ordered a coop build from a local builder. She did an amazing job & delivered the coop on Halloween last year. Our girls (and boys) are 14 weeks old today. The coop came with two extra large nesting boxes. I’ve lined the boxes with old feed bags to keep the wood clean in there.
They don’t sleep in the boxes, but they do nap on the edge of them sometimes during the day.
Should I add bedding for laying now? Are the fake eggs necessary?
Any tips anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you! 🙏🏻

Our girls (and boys) are 14 weeks old today....They don’t sleep in the boxes, but they do nap on the edge of them sometimes during the day.

Chicken poop in the nestboxes is the main reason for keeping them out at night, and not having them hang out there in the daytime. So if they are pooping in the nests, it is best to change something. If the nests are staying clean, then the current situation is fine.

Some nestbox styles have a perch just outside, so a chicken can fly up and then step gently into the nestbox. A perch like that also provides a spot for chickens to spend time during the day, without pooping in the nests. You might consider something like that.

Should I add bedding for laying now?
Given their age and the time of year, that would probably be best. They might start laying within the next few weeks or a month or so.

The chickens will probably scratch around and throw it out of the nests, so expect to add more at fairly frequent intervals, at least until the novelty wears off. But that will happen no matter when you start adding it.

Are the fake eggs necessary?
Fake eggs are not really necessary, but I do think they help a bit. The chickens start to get the idea of what nests are for. They also get a chance to peck egg-shaped things, and find that they are not good to eat. I think that makes them less likely to become egg eaters later. (Egg eating can happen anyway, no matter what you do. But some things make it more likely or less likely. Fake eggs seem to make it a little less likely.)

"Fake eggs" can be plastic easter eggs, golf balls, smooth rocks, maybe even clean avocado pits. Of course you can also buy realistic looking ones in plastic, wood, ceramic, etc. Chickens are not particularly picky.

Fake eggs that are very lightweight may get kicked out of the nest. Filling plastic easter eggs with gravel or grit is an easy way to make them heavier, and doesn't cause any big problems if they pop open and spill.

Chicken poop in the nestboxes is the main reason for keeping them out at night, and not having them hang out there in the daytime. So if they are pooping in the nests, it is best to change something. If the nests are staying clean, then the current situation is fine.

Some nestbox styles have a perch just outside, so a chicken can fly up and then step gently into the nestbox. A perch like that also provides a spot for chickens to spend time during the day, without pooping in the nests. You might consider something like that.

Given their age and the time of year, that would probably be best. They might start laying within the next few weeks or a month or so.

The chickens will probably scratch around and throw it out of the nests, so expect to add more at fairly frequent intervals, at least until the novelty wears off. But that will happen no matter when you start adding it.

Fake eggs are not really necessary, but I do think they help a bit. The chickens start to get the idea of what nests are for. They also get a chance to peck egg-shaped things, and find that they are not good to eat. I think that makes them less likely to become egg eaters later. (Egg eating can happen anyway, no matter what you do. But some things make it more likely or less likely. Fake eggs seem to make it a little less likely.)

"Fake eggs" can be plastic easter eggs, golf balls, smooth rocks, maybe even clean avocado pits. Of course you can also buy realistic looking ones in plastic, wood, ceramic, etc. Chickens are not particularly picky.

Fake eggs that are very lightweight may get kicked out of the nest. Filling plastic easter eggs with gravel or grit is an easy way to make them heavier, and doesn't cause any big problems if they pop open and spill.
Thanks so much for this!! These are all really great suggestions!
I especially like the idea of adding roosts just outside the laying boxes! Would you say about 8-10 inches out from the edge of the nesting box? I’m thinking that would probably be close enough to be easier to get into the box, but also allow them to poop through the space to the floor instead of the nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom