When Muskovies lay ......?

Quote:
Congrats on the eggs!! How old are your birds?

Would scovies be inclined to sit on eggs in this crazy winter weather?

I have a couple regular customers that are always asking when I am going to be getting duck eggs ...so my plan is to put some in with the chicken eggs clearly marked ...

I have 11 muscovy's ...5 females ....they were all hatched out this past spring ...I forget but I am guessing early June .....

I really hope they dont start laying on eggs until the spring ...I am new to waterfowl ...this is my first time ...I am learning as I go ...also have 2 embden geese ...just found out there a pair ~~~~~ yeah ! and I have 3 production Toulouse ...0ne female and two males .....there all relatively the same age ..... I am thrilled !

Mine are from a June 8 hatch so I may see some eggs soon...or not.
roll.png
lol.png

Last edited:
UGHHHHH...I am getting so conflicting info.... lol..Canadian Muscovies are laying, can't get any colder..and N.C. muscovies will not start back up until April....I also have a friend that has a muscovie hatching as we speak....why won't mine lay...ok, tomorrow I will put a nest in there with a golf ball in it and see.....wish me luck..

2468, what are you going to do if they go broody on you? Got our first egg today. Frozen solid by the time we found it. I am wondering what I am going to be up against. You are similarly situated, winter wise. Do you think they will go broody? Is it the eggs collecting in the nest that causes them to go broody? Are you removing eggs daily?

I hope they dont go broody !!!!!!!!
I have been collecting the eggs daily and they have no interest in hanging around in the coop once I open the door.....
But the Drakes sure do act like its spring !!!!! I am planning on removing some drakes soon as I find the girls are all hanging around in one group .... I guess there is more power in numbers ...exspecially on our deck ....lol !!!

I really dont know if its the eggs collecting in the nest ...I am still so new at waterfowl ...I do have three broody hens that whenever they become broody I cannot get them off there nest even if there laying on golfballs .....
Stay warm .....

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if mine get too much light, but someone said that light hours doesn't seem to make much difference.

Back
Top Bottom