When Pets Attack

I love animals. Well maybe not snakes, but I can appreciate there role in the scheme of things. What I have never been able to understand is why people think they can "change" the natural behavior of any animal. The inate behaviors of animals is always there. Lurking beneath the veneer of learn behaviors until the right situation triggers it. You can never allow past behavior to lull you into a false sense of security. Watch the news for very long and you will hear someone saying "he's always been so gentle". A few years ago there was a two month old baby that was killed by her parents 12' long snake. Their comment "its always been such a friendly snake". They appear more upset with the police that killed it than the loss of their child. I guess maybe it was just hugging to be friendly.

Quote:
Very good points.

Snakes are the only true animal that can be returned to the wild after years of "domestication".
They never lose their ability to return to the wild, a snake is never truely domesticated.

Quote:
that's why i dont understand why they have goats in petting zoos....they can do some damage even hornless ones can. Sure goats are docile, but not all the time some can just get in a bad mood and do some damage.

Just like in disney, at a petting zoo a womans petting zoo dog attacked a child.

My sister was bit by a donkey at a petting zoo when we were younger.
Myself, I dont like petting zoos. Not because of the donkey incident, but because they just are not supervised enough.
I know my horse isnt going to bite me or kick me on purpose. But I am ALWAYS aware of him when I am working around him. One of my mares was a biter, but only bit my mom.
roll.png

Funny you should post! I have a friend who has fallen in love with my very sweet calico barn kitty,so much so that I decided yesterday to let her have her. I picked kitty up and lovingly carried her to the house saying my good-byes all the way . Waiting was a pet taxi, as I got this very sweet kitty to the door of said pet taxi she totally freaked and turned into a BUZZSAW! I am now nursing a thumb the size of a small zuccini, with 4 DEEP puncture wounds, one that goes through my thumbnail. Did you know that when cats bite they hang on and don't want to turn loose? I know now why they are such effecient hitmen. Just a reminder that fear can turn even the sweetest kitty into the EVIL INCARNATE,THE DEVIL HIMSELF! She has had her shots,and we have her in quarantine. Ouch! micah
barnie.gif

ABSOLUTELY TRUE deerman
wink.png
,, my worse attack was from a hamster
roll.png

alot of people here need to take this thread to their "my friendly roo attacked me why?" threads.
my pea is finally comming over to me and eating out of my hand,,,, the wifers says the other day,, " why does it look like your ready to jump on him?" ,,, i say,,,, cause i AM
hmm.png

Quote:
We had a 9' boa that belonged to DW's dad before his passing. We liked having the snake, but we always had a healthy respect for it. We donated it to the ISU herpetology center when my second son was born premature and I realized I had fed the snake rabbits that were smaller than my premie son. Not saying anything WOULD have happened, just the possibility that something COULD have happened was enough to find a nice home for the snake.

Quote:
We had a 9' boa that belonged to DW's dad before his passing. We liked having the snake, but we always had a healthy respect for it. We donated it to the ISU herpetology center when my second son was born premature and I realized I had fed the snake rabbits that were smaller than my premie son. Not saying anything WOULD have happened, just the possibility that something COULD have happened was enough to find a nice home for the snake.

Buster I totally understand :
When my oldest daughters last son was born and crawling around , she called me in a panic, her 7 ft red tail boa was tracking the baby as he would crawl by, now her red tail was very well fed, but the prey drive on a snake is higher than most people realize.

I brought the snake here and ended up sending her to a breeder friend of mine.
13lbs of snake is nothing for a disabled person to handle.

Quote:

Buster I totally understand :
When my oldest daughters last son was born and crawling around , she called me in a panic, her 7 ft red tail boa was tracking the baby as he would crawl by, now her red tail was very well fed, but the prey drive on a snake is higher than most people realize.

I brought the snake here and ended up sending her to a breeder friend of mine.
13lbs of snake is nothing for a disabled person to handle.

Mine was in a huge aquarium with a locking top that it never got out of, but we just felt more comfortable in donating it to science.
smile.png

I respect the potential of all animals. On my job daily I hear oh he won't bite, or he'll just lick you to death. I don't take a pet owners comments at face value ever. Almost every domesticated animal attack is followed by the owner saying "he was always so gentle, he never offered to attack before."

Back
Top Bottom