When should I be able to see veining?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by standardbanty, Apr 10, 2009.

1. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    When should I be able to see veining? what day can i see veining? They are about 4 and a half days old.

2. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

depends on egg color. but i see it on day 5 to 7 on most eggs. you can see it before then but i try to look at them about day 7 and get the bad ones out then.

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Some of the darker eggs you will not be able to tell and could throw out viable eggs. If it doesn't smell, and you aren't confident in your candling, leave it, but keep your "nose tuned".

4. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I can usually see mine at 3 days but that is with regular brown eggs, not the dark ones. I have found though that handling the eggs at that age increased the mortality, so i just put the light on the eggs without moving them. Really, though, you dont need to candle until 7 to 10 days, so that you can weed out the non developing ones or the quitters before they start to smell, like the above posts stated.

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:That is really good advice, I just had this problem with some eggs in the bator, it was day 8 when I candled and I didn't see any veining however I did look long enough in eggs that I thought was clear, and saw movement! So I checked again yesterday and did see veining in most of the eggs wow and to think I almost gave up on them. So if they don't stink, keep them in the bator and give them every opportunity. Sandy

6. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    I try not to candle until day 10(although I do have moments of weakness). I think you should wait at least until day 7 to reduce risk of disrupting the development.
    I still don't toss any unless I'm totally sure they are a no-go. I have darker egg layers though so it's a little hard to tell.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you are not experienced with what you are looking for, I'd wait till about Day 9-10. By then, things will be much easier to see. Also, the embryo is very delicate the first ten days, so it's better to wait till around Day 10 to candle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by