When should I break my broody Muscovy?

PancakesMom

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2022
New to this community! I have a 10 month old Muscovy named Pancake who is on her first egg laying/ broody cycle. We have a lot of Muscovys in the area and we found Pancake as an abandoned hatchling and could not bear to leave her behind so we took her in. She is mainly an indoor bird but we do have a large yard where she free ranges for several hours a day before coming back inside at night. She began laying eggs about six weeks ago and we were taking them away each day, thinking she would eventually stop laying on her own. After researching more on egg laying habits (this is my first experience with this process so I am learning on the “fly”), I learned that she could continue to lay year round if we let her but we do not want this for her as it seems to take a lot out of her.

I read (here on BYC) that the best way to have her stop laying is to let her go full broody. Her eggs should be unfertilized as we do our best to keep her away from wild drakes, but it is tough to be certain since some wander into our yard occasionally. We do not want her to hatch any ducklings so we have continued to take her eggs but have began replacing them with store bought chicken eggs so she has something to sit on. After 6 replacement eggs she has finally stopped laying (we are on day 4 of no new eggs after laying 1 egg a day for 42 days) and she has gone full broody. She sits on her chicken eggs most of the day and only comes out of her nest once or twice to poop, preen, and have a snack before going right back to sitting.

My question is, how long should I allow her to sit on these chicken eggs before clearing out the nest in order to break her broodiness, but ensure that she does not start laying more eggs until her next cycle? Is 4 days of no eggs long enough to determine that she is done for now? Any advice is welcome since this is all new to me and I want to make sure I am giving her the best care possible but also want my sweet cuddly bird back. We appreciate her eggs as they are quite delicious but I do not want her laying all year. She is part of the family to us, not an egg factory and I would like her to go back to normal for a while and know how to stop the egg laying for future cycles.

Thank you! :)

New to this community! I have a 10 month old Muscovy named Pancake who is on her first egg laying/ broody cycle. We have a lot of Muscovys in the area and we found Pancake as an abandoned hatchling and could not bear to leave her behind so we took her in. She is mainly an indoor bird but we do have a large yard where she free ranges for several hours a day before coming back inside at night. She began laying eggs about six weeks ago and we were taking them away each day, thinking she would eventually stop laying on her own. After researching more on egg laying habits (this is my first experience with this process so I am learning on the “fly”), I learned that she could continue to lay year round if we let her but we do not want this for her as it seems to take a lot out of her.

I read (here on BYC) that the best way to have her stop laying is to let her go full broody. Her eggs should be unfertilized as we do our best to keep her away from wild drakes, but it is tough to be certain since some wander into our yard occasionally. We do not want her to hatch any ducklings so we have continued to take her eggs but have began replacing them with store bought chicken eggs so she has something to sit on. After 6 replacement eggs she has finally stopped laying (we are on day 4 of no new eggs after laying 1 egg a day for 42 days) and she has gone full broody. She sits on her chicken eggs most of the day and only comes out of her nest once or twice to poop, preen, and have a snack before going right back to sitting.

My question is, how long should I allow her to sit on these chicken eggs before clearing out the nest in order to break her broodiness, but ensure that she does not start laying more eggs until her next cycle? Is 4 days of no eggs long enough to determine that she is done for now? Any advice is welcome since this is all new to me and I want to make sure I am giving her the best care possible but also want my sweet cuddly bird back. We appreciate her eggs as they are quite delicious but I do not want her laying all year. She is part of the family to us, not an egg factory and I would like her to go back to normal for a while and know how to stop the egg laying for future cycles.

Thank you! :)
Letting her sit on eggs only encourages broodiness. Muscovy can be quite determined. Remove the eggs, cover the nest area back up, block her from the chickens nesting area if you can. Keeping her out of a nest is the best way to break her. I've done it many times for my muscovy.
For more advice, post on the duck forum. You will get lots of hellos here, but not as much advice.

Last edited:
Letting her sit on eggs only encourages broodiness. Muscovy can be quite determined. Remove the eggs, cover the nest area back up, block her from the chickens nesting area if you can. Keeping her out of a nest is the best way to break her. I've done it many times for my muscovy.
For more advice, post one the duck forum. You will get lots of hellos here, but not as much advice.
Thank you for the advice, about the broodiness and the forum!

Back
Top Bottom