When should I expect Rhode Island Reds to start laying?

bevyjo

Chirping
May 31, 2020
I purchased 10 RIR hens that were hatched this January. They have been with me about a month and have settled in nicely, but have not yet started to lay eggs. Is this normal? When should I expect them to start?

I also have 2 Cinnamon Queens who are over a year old, who I rescued from a laying barn situation. They had been laying regularly, then we had some predator problems. They have settled down again and I got a couple of eggs from each of them a couple of weeks ago, but none since.

I should add that it's been very hot here - temps in the 90s with stupidly high humidity. They have a fan in their coop and all of them seem to prefer being in there to being outside, even though they have a large shady run. Plenty of water available both inside and out.

Otherwise they are healthy and happy, eating and drinking well and no signs of illness. I just added a pan full of oyster grit inside the coop since they don't seem to be scratching much right now. I don't blame them, it's too hot to move.

Is this a heat issue? A maturity issue? Both? Thanks.

I purchased 10 RIR hens that were hatched this January. They have been with me about a month and have settled in nicely, but have not yet started to lay eggs. Is this normal? When should I expect them to start?
I would think they should be close.
How do their combs look?
Do you free range?

The heat could definitely be a factor.
Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

They have a very large fenced yard that they are free to roam about in, and it's nicely shaded. I finally got an egg from one of my older hens this morning, but today is much cooler and rainy. RIR's combs all look fine to me.

I would think they should be close.
How do their combs look?
Do you free range?

The heat could definitely be a factor.
Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full
Awesome Idea. Your chart does that mean 1 Cup of the Powder for 1 Gallon? or did I not read that correctly? Great ideas.

Read the column heads.
First column is amounts of powder in teaspoons.
Second and third columns are amounts of water in different units of measure.
I did "read" just backwards, thanks for the clarification. Was quick to ask the question before I even read it thoroughly (i.e., 4 quarts equal a gallon). Thank you though.

Back
Top Bottom