When should I get a rooster?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by DDRanch, Jan 27, 2012.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I am thinking again of adding a rooster to my flock. I had a horrible experience with a neighbor's rooster last year when it killed one of my girls so I have been reluctant to add one. I have never had a rooster but have been keeping hens for about 8 years.

My current flock is aged 3 to 7 years old. I will be adding about 6 chicks in April. I have the large breeds.

I have 3 questions...

When should I get a rooster? Now or wait until April when the chicks arrive?
    Should I get a full grown rooster or raise a chick?
    Will my current flock accept a rooster having never had one around? (except for the killer rooster)

Appreciate your comments and advice.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think you would have the easiest time adding the rooster to your chick order.....Or, if you know someone with a rooster that is a bit older, like two years or older, they're nice to get because they've gotten over their teenage (heavy testosterone) times and they're a bit calmer.....

My current rooster is a 2 year old champion I Buckeye that I bought from another BYC member, and he's a perfect gentlemen to the hens and also to my family.

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Thank you.

4. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    I'm in the same situation here, I have had hens for 2 years and would like to add a rooster for entertainment and flock protection. Will probably order a roo with the next order of chicks coming this spring. They'll most likely be Barred Rocks. Anyone have good experiences with the Barred Rock roos?

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Having a young rooster grow and develop within an existing flock of hens would be easier on everyone. However, you do not really need a rooster unless you want breed your chickens. Although roosters are beautiful, they are not a guaranteed flock protector.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by