When should I give up on my daisy duck

Jennyneuroth

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2018
South Carolina
I've had a pecken for about 4weeks now and I'm assuming she was roughly a week old when i got her from the local tractor supply. A week after I brought her home she got sick (that's what I call it).....after tons of research I am certain it's niacin deffeciency the very same night I noticed something was wrong I started the niacin....I brought her inside and crated her right beside my bed to keep a close eye on her....she wasn't doing well at all.....she has come a real long way but she's roughly five weeks old now and I've been treating her for three weeks.....she's healthy and happy and eats like a pig.....but I'm afraid her legs have grown bow legged and may never straighten....she still gets flipped on her back and struggles to walk properly but she spreads her little wings for balance and takes off! Shes getting too big to be inside and away from the other ducks but I can't leave her over night with the other because she gets flipped some time in the night and then it takes a few hours for her to seem right again. I love her she has been one heck of a chore I wasn't expecting but if this is going to be her quality of life at what point should I give up?

You have been such a great "Duck Mamma" - I'm impressed!
Though not a duck person, I have had my share of special needs chicks and chickens and I struggle with the exact same question. Am I prolonging life that I shouldn't be??
I think, though, it really comes down to a personal decision. If you are willing to continue constant care, then you should go ahead and do it. If you are not, then humanely euthanizing is the choice. The one piece of advice I would offer is to not let her suffer - in other words, if you put her out with the flock, using good integration techniques and she starts failing, don't just let her fail.
It's not wrong to have a forever special needs pet - as long as they're not in any pain. It is wrong to let them suffer.
Best wishes to you in whichever choice you make. :)

Last edited:
I have no advice, but it sounds like you are doing everything you can. I know Holderread's advice in the raising ducks book says that these deficencies can normally be corrected unless they have gone on too long.

Anyway, :welcome
Hope it works out for you and the duckling.

The first week I had her me and the kids would take her out everyday and spend time with her so the Friday we went out and she couldn't stand properly we notice right away and began treatment right away so I know I caught as soon as I possibly could also she has a daily bath time which she really enjoys....I'm just afraid at this point her legs have grown bow legged and may not grow back. She seems very healthy except she still gets flipped on her back from time to time and is stuck that way without assistance. Luckily I had taken some time off of work and have been able to give her constant care but when I return to work no one will be home to watch her all day! I really want her to get better I've grown very attached....I just don't know if she is going to get better at this point!

This picture shows her progress over the weeks the newest one was taken last week

Attachments

• 20180316_141407.jpg
    20180316_141407.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 25
The first week I had her me and the kids would take her out everyday and spend time with her so the Friday we went out and she couldn't stand properly we notice right away and began treatment right away so I know I caught as soon as I possibly could also she has a daily bath time which she really enjoys....I'm just afraid at this point her legs have grown bow legged and may not grow back. She seems very healthy except she still gets flipped on her back from time to time and is stuck that way without assistance. Luckily I had taken some time off of work and have been able to give her constant care but when I return to work no one will be home to watch her all day! I really want her to get better I've grown very attached....I just don't know if she is going to get better at this point!
I think she still has hope, but I don't know. The pictures I saw in the book were much more severe.

She doesn’t look too bad off in the pictures. But sometimes it’s hard to tell. How often does she get on her back and need help?

Also, if you’ve been treating her and doing therapy, it’s not likely her diet is the problem. It’s probably genetics. Even if she has a full recovery I would not hatch out her eggs if she were mine.

Back
Top Bottom