When Should I open the Nest?

Quote:
I'm not sure also if I'm doing it right
hmm.png

But when I was searching tips for building my coop I've stumbled across a couple of DIY that mentioned that they kept the nests closed till they started to lay. Not sure if for me makes any difference since they are always in the Run and only come to the coop at night by their choice.

yeah, so my question to anyone with an answer or more experience, if they poop in them, say now at 9 weeks, will they do that also when they are laying at 18-20 weeks? If yes, I will block t hem off...I don't want poopy eggs!

Also will they go up the coop just to lay?
smile.png

Quote:
yeah, so my question to anyone with an answer or more experience, if they poop in them, say now at 9 weeks, will they do that also when they are laying at 18-20 weeks? If yes, I will block t hem off...I don't want poopy eggs!

Also will they go up the coop just to lay?
smile.png

yes, good question also....I still have about 10 weeks to go, but would like to know what to do now....lets see if anyone helps us out.

Just to be on the safe side and because I'm so green at this , I had my husband block them.
Quote:
hmm.png

But when I was searching tips for building my coop I've stumbled across a couple of DIY that mentioned that they kept the nests closed till they started to lay. Not sure if for me makes any difference since they are always in the Run and only come to the coop at night by their choice.

I never blocked mine. I always had fake eggs in them. If you free range they will go back to the coop to lay at least mine do. I just took this picture of them laying some eggs & you can see the doors open. Thought it was a neat picture of the roo always watching out for his woman he's a lucky guy
63768_babys_in_nest_boxs_002.jpg
he's got 10 girlfriends.

Quote:
hmm.png

A grown hen won't usually poop in the nest, they can't poop and lay eggs at the same time. They only really visit the nests to lay eggs, never hang out in them. They have a natural instinct to avoid the nests except to lay eggs in order to keep predators from finding the nests. My hens hang out in their run most of the day, but will return to the coop to lay their eggs.

You usually block them off because young chickens will play there and poop there, but the real mess occurs when and if they start to roost in the nests. A roosting chicken poops all night long and that makes a big mess. Since chickens will roost at the highest point, that's why they always say put the roosts higher than the nests to keep them out of the nests to roost. At this point, your young chickens have been roosting on the roosts and will probably not mess in the nest boxes, so you can probably open them up. If you want to make absolutely sure, wait until you see the girls squatting around you. Once they start sqautting, they should start to lay within a few weeks.

I've never blocked mine either...they've always been able to practice until they actually start laying! Once in a while I have one make a mess that I have to scoop out, but not very often. I've found that the eggs aren't dirty if I do my part and collect them every day.....

Back
Top Bottom