when should I put chicks in with the adults

SoldierSailor

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2015
Oceanside CA
Grace and Baby, My two Ameraucana/easter eggers are about 3 weeks old.

Right now I have them in the garage in dog kennel with the heat lamp.
It's still pretty chilly but they're none the worse for the wear.

I am thinking about moving them into the coop with the rest of the flock (11-Five month olds)

I made them a place to get away if the adults start going after them during the day.

There is a nesting box they can call their own in the coop. I am not expecting any trouble in the coop.
The adults all roost in the rafters except Claire our white silkie who takes the other nesting box along the bottom.
I have a heat lamp I would put out there at least for the first week so they can adjust with freezing.

I have heard the earlier you get them in with the others, when they are little, the better.

I have seen all kinds of post related to this question and just as differing answers.

I am in Oceanside CA
What does everyone think???

You're all set! And I've never seen such a cute "panic room"!

But before you turn the two chicks loose in the run, since the adults haven't met them yet, it would be best to give them a little break-in period where everyone gets acquainted without mingling. Then after a few days, when it appears the chicks have become accepted as members of the flock, then give the chicks access to the rest of the pen.

I agree. I've just put 5 week olds in after they spent a week in an attached run. No problems at all. I would make sure you have food and water at opposite ends though in case the big ones draw the line at sharing that :)

I put the chicks' food and water inside their panic room. That way they don't have to compete with the large chickens for essentials, and they don't have to be afraid of trying to get a bite to eat.

I put the chicks' food and water inside their panic room. That way they don't have to compete with the large chickens for essentials, and they don't have to be afraid of trying to get a bite to eat.
Ditto Dat^^^

Although that panic room is very cute, would rather have one that is made out of mesh so everyone can see in and out, especially the keeper.
Can't really tell how big it is either but it should be big enough for them to live in there, with their food and water, until pretty large.

We took the plunge and moved the girls out to the adjoining coop. They loved it. Running around and taking dust baths.

I had to show them how to get in and out of the coop but they are catching on

It is actually warmer in the coop than it was in the garage and they are lots happier

and getting shown off to thier future coop mates..

Back
Top Bottom