When should I start collecting hatching eggs from pullets?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pathognomonic, Mar 15, 2016.

1. pathognomonic

pathognomonic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    I have a group of pullets that will be 5 months old at the end of March (no eggs yet). I would like to hatch some chicks this summer. I know I need to wait until I have eggs of uniform shape and size. We sell eggs to my husband's colleagues, so it won't be difficult to get reports on the yolks. Besides the physical characteristics of the eggs, is there a rule of thumb for age to start attempting to hatch? These are Easter Eggers, in my experience they are laying pretty regularly by six months. A friend who is experienced at hatching eggs will be taking these eggs until I am fully set up next spring. So, my lack of experience won't be a limiting factor.

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    I do not think there is any certain age. I've used very first eggs and they hatched.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I had my very best hatch using my pullets' eggs and they had been laying between 4-6 weeks I bellieve. I set 21, had an early quitter around day 4-5 and 20 made it to lockdown and 20 hatched out healthy. I think size is most important.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by