When should I start using DE?

G2Shooter

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Quad Cities Area
My chicks are 6 weeks old and will be going out to the coop this weekend. Should I go ahead and sprikle some in shavings when i put it in the coop? Do I dust there chick starter with it? I planned on making them a dust bath in the run with sand, dirt and DE. Anything else I should do?

Not much experience here. I picked up my first bag of DE at the feed store just yesterday. My chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old and they/the brooder start to smell a little bit. I sprinkled a little bit of DE in their shavings yesterday. That stuff sure is dusty, I hope it is not too early to use ??? I hope someone with more knowledge will chime in .......

I am new..and what is DE?!
hu.gif

I love DE but I only like permagaurd I have tried other brands...
Think of it like cuddle bones you use on parakeets... I feed it to mine it works great on keeping the flies down I sprinkle it in and on everything...There feathers really shine
If you are going to give it to 6 week old chicks they only need a pinch sprinkled over their food...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it is 'food grade' DE that you use for their food. I would also be careful with using it on chicks...read the label...it warns about inhaling the dust...it is crushed shells that can damage your lungs and perhaps the lungs of your animals/chicks.

I don't actually feed it to my chickens though i know others do.

I use it in the litter. I would not be likely to use it with 2 week-olds, and i would not use it if their brooder is inside my house. Like someone said, that stuff is super dusty, and some humans (like my husband) are also very sensitive to it.

In the coop, and with six week old chicks, i would not hesitate to use a small amount in the litter to help dry it out and cut down on ammonia smell.

And yes, with chickens' litter or in their food, only FOOD GRADE DE should be used. Any other grade will be harmful.

Back
Top Bottom