When should I stop turning call duck eggs?

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
I have 5 call duck eggs and 1 Australian spotted bantam on 19. When should they be taken off the turner? I read they can hatch earlier than standard sized ducks. Thank you so much for your help!

So, call duck eggs usually hatch around 26 days, I stop turning them on day 23, also be prepared if you need to assist any if you want the best odds of getting more ducklings to hatch, although I get for some people that assisting isnt something everyone wants to do

Ours Calls hatched at 28 days and we stopped turning at day 25. First hatch of the season and we were having to tweak temps in a small incubator so your results may vary.

2 out of the 5 eggs have externally pipped since I woke up this morning. when should I worry about the other 3? Can anyone give me a run down on how and when to assist? Specfically the when and why because I don't fully understand what part of the hatching process they struggle with the most.

This is our rules:
* #1 Don't get impatient.
* Don't mess with the pipped ones for at least 24 hours. They usually rest for a day or so after struggling to make that first pip.
* Wait on the 3 with no pips at least 24 hours then check for pips
* If no pips after 24 hours, candle the eggs. Watch for movement, listen for peeps/tapping and check for rotten eggs.
* Helping them hatch is a VERY risky thing to do and we've found that doing so endangers the hatchlings a lot more times then it helps. They have to separate from the membrane and absorb the yolk. Helping hatching can interfere with these processes and kill the duckling.
* Being inexperienced, it's best to just lest nature take it's course in the vast majority of cases. I'd only help if your humidity is very low, the duckling is mostly out and parts of the shell is sticking to the duckling and then only the "cap". Let the ducklings do the rest by themselves.

Sorry for the delay in updates! I had to leave the house around 5pm to go run a few errands before stores closed for the day. Came back and ALL 5 are hatched and alive. I couldn't be any happier right now. This is the greatest early birthday present ever lol. 4 serama chicks and 4 ducklings; 4 calls and one aussie spotted. They didn't require any assistance at all thankfully although they just about flooded the brinsea mini ii advance with all that hatching goop and what not. (ew!) To the point that they would never dry in there so they are moved to their brooder and I'm watching them dry off now.

Attachments

• 20220522_214930.jpg
    20220522_214930.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom