When should I turn the heat lamp on?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Willow's Meadow, May 20, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    So when the chicks come in the morning what time should I put the heat lamp on? Right before I leave for the post office? Will it heat up by then? What did you do?

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I plugged it in at the same time I put the chicks in the brooder.

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I think earlier than that. In a draft free room I had a hard time regulating the temp. It varied from 78 to 108 for no discernable reason. Get it started the night before with a thermometer in the brooder so you know where you are. Depending on where the PO is it will take awhile to heat up, and you don't want to be dealing with the light when you want to be dealing with your chicks!

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    You can do whatever makes you feel most comfortable. Personally, I plug in the light when I put the chicks in the cardboard box which serves as my brooder. I haven't had one complain yet!

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:I do the same thing.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I personally prefer to turn it on the day before. This insures the bedding is completely dry, everything is warm, and most importantly gives me time to fix or correct things if something turns out to be wrong with my set up. Have a spare bulb on hand as well.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I conducted a "dry run" test a few days before our chicks were expected so I could fiddle with the arrangement to get it just right. Then, when I knew how the system performed and about how long it would take for it to warm up to the desired temperature, I shut it off until needed.

We got our chicks from a neighbor, so they were not stressed or possibly chilled from shipment. I would think it would be even more important to be able to put chicks into a properly warmed brooder promptly if they are coming out of a shipment box.

8. gstone

gstone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    I would say the night before - or first thing in the morning. I don't overly worry about what the temp is... the chicks body language will tell you. I have a therm strip in there just for curiosity sake.

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I was being super over careful and turned mine on the morning before- about 24 hours. I didn' know what they had to face in the mail (for 2 days) so I wanted them to be very comfy when they got home. Probably not necessary, but that's what I did.

10. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I would definitely suggest putting it on before hand. It's no fun to plug in the lamp and find out it doesn't work or the bulb is blown when you have a box full of unhappy babies who want to warm up and eat. Girl Scout Motto: Be Prepared!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by