When should I worry?

Agsgranik

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Hi Y'all,
My girls have been laying pretty steadily since we got them in July. One of them (Poulle) has been laying very large solid eggs consistently but over the last three days, only shell-less eggs. I know that can happen occasionally, but this seems like an issue. No change in feed or conditions. Otherwise behaving normally; eating layer feed and free access to oyster shell.

Assuming she's having trouble, what can I do about it. This is not a chicken that likes being handled, so I don't want to stress her out unduly.

Thanks!

Free range or are they in a run? New bag of food or anything like that around the time they showed up? Do you give treats?

Most likely it will clear up. If free ranged, coop them up for a week or so that way you can control what they eat. This gives a very controlled environment that you can change one thing at a time until you figure it out.

Free range or are they in a run? New bag of food or anything like that around the time they showed up? Do you give treats?

Most likely it will clear up. If free ranged, coop them up for a week or so that way you can control what they eat. This gives a very controlled environment that you can change one thing at a time until you figure it out.
Usually they are free range, but they've been cooped up since Monday for unrelated reasons. Nothing else changed. Same food. I do give treats; sometimes mealworms and then whatever scraps and leftovers come out of my kitchen. Could this be a reaction to being cooped?

Usually they are free range, but they've been cooped up since Monday for unrelated reasons. Nothing else changed. Same food. I do give treats; sometimes mealworms and then whatever scraps and leftovers come out of my kitchen. Could this be a reaction to being cooped?
I don’t think it’s a stress reaction, but may be wrong. @aart @Wyorp Rock @azygous may be able to give further insight.

For now, don’t feed any treats and no scraps. Just oyster shell free choice and 16% or higher feed. If her egg shells firm up, then it may be the treats and/or scraps that were giving her fits. Introduce one at a time for a week and see.

Some treat such as spinach will block calcium absorption. Other hens may not be able to absorb calcium adequately from oyster shell and layer feed. This occurs more often with older layers, but can occur in new layers as they adjust to their pattern of laying.

Any time you see a shell less egg, it is cause for concern and should be addressed to head off possible egg binding and rupturing of poor shell quality eggs inside the hen. This can set up a crisis situation that is much more difficult to deal with and could lead to death or sterility.

Giving one calcium citrate tablet with D3 each day until egg quality returns to normal can head off these dreadful complications.

Hi Y'all,
My girls have been laying pretty steadily since we got them in July. One of them (Poulle) has been laying very large solid eggs consistently but over the last three days, only shell-less eggs. I know that can happen occasionally, but this seems like an issue. No change in feed or conditions. Otherwise behaving normally; eating layer feed and free access to oyster shell.

Assuming she's having trouble, what can I do about it. This is not a chicken that likes being handled, so I don't want to stress her out unduly.

Thanks!
Usually they are free range, but they've been cooped up since Monday for unrelated reasons. Nothing else changed.
How much space do they have in the coop/run? How many chickens?
Possible having a change of going from free range to cooped up could cause stress and shell-less eggs.

Observe the flock - is she getting picked on (watch during roosting time too!)
Is she getting to eat/drink o.k. - she's not being kept from those...

I wouldn't hurt to give the extra calcium for a few days to see if that helps too.

What all and how exactly are you feeding them?
How old is this bird, in months?
Feeding layer mix twice a day, plus usually a treat of whatever scraps from the kitchen (fruit, veggies, leftovers) in the middle of the day. Usually they are free range but this week they’ve been cooped since Monday.
She’s about 5 months.

Feeding layer mix twice a day, plus usually a treat of whatever scraps from the kitchen (fruit, veggies, leftovers) in the middle of the day. Usually they are free range but this week they’ve been cooped since Monday.
She’s about 5 months.
They should have feed available every hour they are awake.
I'd cut out the scraps and put out a separate feeder with some Oyster Shells.

Back
Top Bottom