When should mother duck be separated from her ducklings

bpauldun

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2016
Hi,
Please excuse me if I am posting a question that has already been answered, but I've looked over the forum and in my Storey's guide to ducks and I can find a good answer. I have only found one note on the net that says 1½-2 months after hatching.

I have a Muscovy mother duck who has hatched and raised 13 ducklings, who live in an isolated pen away from the main flock. The ducklings are to be kept as a separate flock (We don't them breeding with their father) , so at some point the mother needs to return to the original flock.

Judging from their behavior, at now 4½ weeks, it seems she is ready to leave. She sleeps alone, the ducklings making their own 'pile' and they seem very independent. They are starting to grown their first proper feathers, they water bath fine and appear to have mastered washing behind their ears.

When is it time, for her to return to the flock?

Last edited:
My Muscovy just weaned hers they turned 4 weeks this past Wednesday. Let her go back but also don’t worry about your females (once breeding age) mating their dad that can’t cause problems for a few generations. @Pyxis is our genetics person.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. That makes a load of sense cos my female looks almost alienated right now.

Are there any good threads on genetics and being concerned you can recommend for ducks? The flock is new so we are making an effort to track it.

Back
Top Bottom