When should my pigeons lay an egg?

CascadiaRiver

Songster
9 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I am a first time youth 4H pigeon owner of a two Birmingham Rollers, we got them about 5 days ago and they are being quarantined inside in an area bigger than a large dog kennel with a nest, 2 perches, food, water, puppy pads and newspaper on the bottom.

We got them at a poultry show from a man who is trustworthy and they seem healthy besides the occasional sneezing (though the room is VERY dusty because of button quail who are housed in here temporarily as well) There were 8 total birds in the pen and people just took what they assumed was a male and female because there was was no designated pairs. I took home an almond female and a blue spread male and the male has begun to bow at her and make tons of sound as well as they groom eachother and other cute things.

1. How long does courtship usually last?
2. How long until he may begin making a nest?
3. If its only day 5 and hes already courting her does that mean it could all happen sooner rather than later?

I used to put my roller cocks and hens together on 2/14 each year. (Call me a romantic.) These were established pairs and generally would immediately seek out last years mates and begin courting. I generally got eggs within 10 days of reintroduction. Your birds as newly mated may take a bit longer, but it is going to happen sooner rather than later. In my experience, Birmingham rollers are extremely prolific breeders. Good luck with them.

1. How long does courtship usually last? This can very as some hens may not be receptive to a cock bird for a number of reasons hens for one do not mature as quick as cocks.
2. How long until he may begin making a nest? Ten days upon seeing the ♂ tread or copulate with the ♀ the first eggs should arrive.
3. If its only day 5 and hes already courting her does that mean it could all happen sooner rather than later? It is possible to many variables to be certain.

Last edited:
Since they were just moved it could take them a little time to get settled in and pair up. When you see them breed they should lay any where from 10 to 12 days later. Our pigeons usually make there nest about four days before they lay. Rollers breed a ton leading up to the day she will lay, I've seen them breed up to seven times just while watching them for a half hour.

Back
Top Bottom