1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When should my swedish ducks start laying again?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by r4eboxer, Jan 25, 2013.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I have 2 Swedish ducks and am wondering when I'm going to get eggs again. They lost their drake months ago and have not laid much since. I know you don't need a drake to lay, and they did start laying a little after he was killed (possum) but I'm wondering how many eggs I should expect a year? They don't seem to be really good consistent layers.

I'm in zone 6 (WV). I think I initially read I'd get like 200 or more a year. I've not gotten anywhere near that amount.

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    It depends on the ducks. I am in southern Maine and when I had swedish, they generally stopped laying in December and wouldn't start up again until about February.
    They usually lay consistently the rest of the year though I would get a week here or there where I would only get 4-5 eggs a week from each hen.
    The stress from the possum attack may have affected your hens. but I would expect them to start up again. Like you said, a drake is not needed for eggs (though this time of the year it may encourage them to start laying once they realize it's mating season).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by