When should they be able to stand up & walk??

Cornychick

Songster
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
Sebastian County, AR
I just hatched 2 ducklings and would like to know how long they normally would take to be able to stand and walk. This is my first time with ducks and I want to make sure they get a good start. Right now they are resting from thier hatch, but one seems better getting around than the other.

I had one little guy recently - unzip in 20 minutes and burst out of the egg- and was flopping around the incubator everywhere straihgt away. So I had to take him out just 5 minutes after hatching. Others have needed a good twelve hours to start taking an interest in anything other than sleeping. They can all be a bit different depending on how much of their strength they used to hatch. I always put some vitamins in he first lot of water I give my ducklings just for a boost, and always have food in the brooder ready for them to eat as soon as they want to after coming out of the incubator.

Quote:
Usually about 24 hours from hatch. If they had a hard time getting out of the shell they are likely to rest/nap for a bit before they do much walking.

Back
Top Bottom