When should we switch to layer feed? Chickens are 14 weeks old.

ParlorCityChickens

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Hi, our ladies are on the Grower/Finisher, and we are wondering when to switch to Layer feed. Thanks in advance!!
yippiechickie.gif

Hey there,
I just want everyone to know that we were raising 4 pullets varying between 13-18 weeks.
We purchased layer feed because the 18 week old was already laying and we figured the others weren't too far behind.
This last week the 13 week old started getting sick and within 3 days its organs had failed.
Lesson learned the hard way (distraught about this) that its better to stick with grower feed until all of the hens are laying and just supplement with a calcium source (oyster shells) off to the side for those who are starting to lay.
Wish I would have found this information earlier! Too much calcium is very bad for birds that have no way of getting rid of it (laying eggs).

My chickens are approximately10 wks old. Do I put them on a new feed now or stay with starter? Man at TS said it doesn't matter since they probably won't lay eggs by winter. I'm in southeast GA so need advice please.
they'll start laying at about 20 weeks, give or take. the man at TS doesn't know what he's talking about. 10 weeks now, and 10 weeks from now is mid august, you should start getting eggs.

As mentioned above, you don't really have to feed layer feed, just switch them over to an all flock, flock grower, etc and provide oyster shell and/or other calcium. No worries about chickens getting what they don't need. Don't have to worry about roosters getting layer pellets/crumbles.......

No offense meant to the guy at TS, but just because he works at a farm store doesn't mean he knows a lot about farming......
smile.png

Quote:
But it's never a bad idea to give the pullets a source of calcium to "bank" in anticipation of their first egg. That way they won't have to use the calcium that they need for their own bodies to create an eggshell. No harm is going to come to them from having a little calcium and most commercial feeds are pitifully low on calcium (only 3 to 4 %) a few weeks early. In fact if I had say 15 week old pullets and ran out of feed, I wouldn't waste my money buying more grower, I'd just switch them a little early. Make sense?

Getting confused. Is there basically grower feed, for chickens up until they get to be laying age and then a layer feed? Seems like I'm hearing different names, but is it really only two kinds?

Generally you'll hear starter, grower, finisher (there are layer and broiler formulas of developer/finisher) and layer. Starter and/or grower can actually be fed from the day a bird hatches to the day it dies at a ripe old age. Starter tends to be slightly higher in protein (20-24%) than grower and is in particles that are smaller. Grower is generally a little lower in protein 18-20%) than starter and the particles are slightly larger. Layer feed is even lower in protein (16-18%) and is enriched with calcium (4% as opposed to the >1% of the other formulas) to support a hen's body being able to shell and expel eggs. Then there is the different forms feed comes in - crumbles, pellets and "mash". The pellets are more associated with layer ration as the feed intended for the younger/smaller birds is presented in crumble form - "mash" is also a layer feed.

Ah HA! This is the info I was looking for since I have Golden Comets who will be getting to laying age before the Buff Orps and Speckled Sussex I have .... or so I read. Good to know that chickens are smart enough to eat what they know is good for them (the laying ones) and those who are not laying will more or less stay away from the oyster shells. Last night one of my Golden Comets ran back and forth on top of the nesting boxes trying to figure out how to get down, when obviously she'd flown up. (Smart? HA!)

Something to consider - the sort of damage that is caused would not have seen the rapid progression described in the OP (which is a bit dated, I know). Yes, excess calcium does cause organ damage and premature death in birds who consume it (males in a laying flock, young birds not of laying age, hens not laying due to age, molt or broodiness, etc.) - but the damage is a long-term issue and does not occur in a matter of days as described in the OP. While the diet was not optimal for the flock in question, the death(s) were not related to the layer feed.

You can start them around 16 to 18 weeks or wait until you get your first egg and start them then.

Getting excited, aren't you?

Not until they start laying. Layer feed has oyster shell for calcium which can damage the internal organs of growing pullets. I just introduced 13 week old pullets to my flock so I am feeding everybody Flockraiser until the youngsters start laying. I put oystershell in a corner of the yard for the older hens to eat for their calcium. I feed organic layer pellet to my layers and oystershell on the side as recommended on the package
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom