When Silkies Attack

AngieChick

Poultry Elitist
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Willamette Valley, OR
I have succumbed to the temptation of silkies. I am weak and very susceptible to fuzziness, so it wasn't hard for them to hypnotize me with their fluffy mind control powers. Not only did I work for 2 weeks on my incubator and then primed it for days, but now I have weeks ahead of me to build a silkie tractor, tailored to their flightless fuzzballness.

I have 2 separate egg groupings, staggered style.

Chickenzoo sent out 12 eggs (+3 bonus eggs, yay!) on Tuesday, from Florida. They came in today in fine shape. She did an amazing job packing. My PO knocked on the door to make sure I was there before leaving them. They had put a silly little slip of paper on the front that said it was live critters in the box so that the deliveryman would treat it with care, and he did
big_smile.png
It was sent priority, left FL and arrived here in OR on Thursday - Wow! You can see the date of when she pulled them on the egg, just 2 days ago.

The eggs are black, white, partridge, splash, and red silkies.

I have more coming from silkiechicken when she decides to grace Corvallis with her presence again (Sunday or early next week). Hers are buff silkies.

I let the eggs get to room temperature then popped them in the bator.

12104_eggies2.jpg

12104_eggies.jpg

The eggs from Chickenzoo are due to move to the hatcher on April 13, and to hatch on the 16th. It's going to drive me nuts to wait a week to candle and see how they fared on their trip.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, that's great, your red and buff babies are so cute. I can't wait to see what we get. I appreciate you sending such a variety, they are like little fluffy M&Ms
big_smile.png

Those tiny cute little eggs have got to be a major pain to write on.

Quote:
Oh, you are cruel! So far I had been able to resist frizzles' unruly hairdos (they reminded me of a 90's new wave band look), but then you had to go and show me babies! And me with a soon to be full bator, not to mention an overflowing backyard. Mean mean mean.

I will get some fantastic pictures, DH is an excellent hobby photographer (his flickr stream http://www.flickr.com/photos/otterlove/ ). He will take baby silkie photos that will melt your eyes with their cuteness.

Oh Angie you will addict a whole new generation of people to them with his photos. He's very good.

And Angie - Sarah is still doing test hatches now and then..... Hint/Possession/Addiction/Enable......

I thought someones silkies really attacked. Actually, my most docile birds in the whole farm, this silkie roo came out of nowhere and drew blood on my husband's arm when he tried to take his girl's egg out. She wants to go broody and apparently he wants her too also!

Back
Top Bottom