When Straight Run Chicks Grow Together - One Roo Dominates?

Barry Natchitoches

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Tennessee
When straight run chicks grow up together -- is it common for one of the roos to take over the traditional role of crowing and mounting hens, and the other roos to keep quiet and leave the gals alone?

...after much sparring, if there is one that is very dominant, yes. Many times it may be top two.

I was wondering this very same thing because I have a BB Old English who rules the roost. And the two Seabright roos dont ever seem to mess with the ladies. The Seabrights do crow though
big_smile.png

MY GC roos have been together since they were chicks. Mr. wobbles is the dominate roo. Lil Brother sits back and keeps quiet. Unless I move him into the pen with the other girls. Although he gets his time in with the girls when big brother isn't looking lol.

I have enough hens that my boys seem to share the duties.. each has his own harem.. they have learned to co-exist happily enough. My alpha roo will chase the others off girls that are his.. but he seems to ignore them when they are tending to their own ladies.. it did take some time.. and i do believe that the hens were the ones who decided which rooster they liked the best

Back
Top Bottom