When Straight Run Chicks Grow Together - One Roo Dominates?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barry Natchitoches, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    When straight run chicks grow up together -- is it common for one of the roos to take over the traditional role of crowing and mounting hens, and the other roos to keep quiet and leave the gals alone?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    ...after much sparring, if there is one that is very dominant, yes. Many times it may be top two.

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I was wondering this very same thing because I have a BB Old English who rules the roost. And the two Seabright roos dont ever seem to mess with the ladies. The Seabrights do crow though [​IMG]...

4. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    MY GC roos have been together since they were chicks. Mr. wobbles is the dominate roo. Lil Brother sits back and keeps quiet. Unless I move him into the pen with the other girls. Although he gets his time in with the girls when big brother isn't looking lol.

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have enough hens that my boys seem to share the duties.. each has his own harem.. they have learned to co-exist happily enough. My alpha roo will chase the others off girls that are his.. but he seems to ignore them when they are tending to their own ladies.. it did take some time.. and i do believe that the hens were the ones who decided which rooster they liked the best

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by