When there is only a hen left...

redsoxs

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
North Central Kansas
I have a newbie question. This spring I wanted to get into chickens....got a bunch from a local farm and ranch store - the "pan fry" special - comprised almost entirely of surplus cockerels. Except for one. She looks like a silver leghorn. Her flock mates are making their way to freezer camp two or three at a time. She is small so she would be the last to go. I have ordered a new batch of chicks from a hatchery to be eventual laying hens. My questions is about the lone hen I have now. She is about 17 weeks. Are there reasons for and against keeping her to start laying and then add in the new chicks when they grow up, as opposed to processing her with the boys? Will she freak being the only chicken for awhile? I plan to dispatch the remaining 10 cockerels this weekend and the chicks won't be in until Aug. 10th or so. Thanks...

Why not save a small rooster to keep her company until the new layers get old enough to mix with her. She will be laying eggs well before any of the young ones.

Last edited:
i dont know alot about chickens but they get very sad when they are alone...to give it a try to see for yourself, put her alone from the others (if you can)
and you will she how lost she will be and she will balk and look for the others...
sad.png
good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom