When they hatch??

Momma ash

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 27, 2013
South central Arkansas
My broody hen will have been sittin on her eggs for 18 days this coming Thursday. What do I need to expect? She is just sitting in one of our regular laying boxes. Where do I need to put her to keep chicks safe from the other hens? I'm so new to this any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

My broody hen will have been sittin on her eggs for 18 days this coming Thursday. What do I need to expect? She is just sitting in one of our regular laying boxes. Where do I need to put her to keep chicks safe from the other hens? I'm so new to this any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

I do put my girls separate from the others..a separate run. I have them in an animal crate, that she can come and go from. No worry of them falling out of a high place, this crate is on the ground. Not sure where your nest box is located, but maybe you should put her closer to the ground if it is high. Mom will do all of the work. They will stay real close to her at first. According to how the weather is, and if she is out doors or indoors by the time they hatch, she will decide when to bring them out to eat and drink.

I was thinking about putting them in a big dog carrier.. Would I need to keep the door shut and put food and water in with them?
Sorry so many questions lol
I bought my hens as babies but the all stayed in the coup with the door shut under a heat lamp. But I can't do that this time as they roost in the coup. So I don't want to shut them out, plus the laying boxes are in there as well.

Last edited:
I am in a very similar position. One of my hens is sitting on a nest that are due to hatch in 4 days. What I've done is let her sit on the eggs in the roost area, but after she hatches the eggs, I'll move her and the chicks to the dog crate, inside the coop. Just today I've moved the crate into the coop and put a tarp over part of the crate to block the wind for her and the chicks, but this will allow the other chickens to get to know the babies through the protective barrier. I still need to put some mesh screen on the bottom half of the crate because the holes are big enough for young chicks to get through. I will also put some straw and shavings in the crate for them to use. I am hoping this will be enough protection for her and the chicks for the next couple of months. She was a great mom this summer, so I expect her to be just as great this time around. I'll be on alert to move them if I see that they are too cold though. Hope this helps with ideas.

I was thinking about putting them in a big dog carrier.. Would I need to keep the door shut and put food and water in with them?
Sorry so many questions lol
I bought my hens as babies but the all stayed in the coup with the door shut under a heat lamp. But I can't do that this time as they roost in the coup. So I don't want to shut them out, plus the laying boxes are in there as well.

No, don't shut her in, have her in an area where she can come and go..without the others able to get around her for a while. That's how I do it. If you have a separated area all together for her, that would be great. She needs food and water. Hope you have thought of something by now. :)

I am in a very similar position. One of my hens is sitting on a nest that are due to hatch in 4 days. What I've done is let her sit on the eggs in the roost area, but after she hatches the eggs, I'll move her and the chicks to the dog crate, inside the coop. Just today I've moved the crate into the coop and put a tarp over part of the crate to block the wind for her and the chicks, but this will allow the other chickens to get to know the babies through the protective barrier. I still need to put some mesh screen on the bottom half of the crate because the holes are big enough for young chicks to get through. I will also put some straw and shavings in the crate for them to use. I am hoping this will be enough protection for her and the chicks for the next couple of months. She was a great mom this summer, so I expect her to be just as great this time around. I'll be on alert to move them if I see that they are too cold though. Hope this helps with ideas.

ep.gif
That is a lot of eggs! Have fun with the new little ones. :)

ep.gif
That is a lot of eggs! Have fun with the new little ones. :)
Thanks, should be fun. Yes it is a lot. I was only planning on putting a dozen eggs under her, but I was sent 22 instead. I couldn't let any go to waste, so I decided how many I thought she could handle (17), and incubated the rest (5). She seems to be covering them well, but I don't expect more than a 50% hatch since the eggs were shipped. I just hope I get plenty of pullets!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom