When to add pine litter to the brooder?

wdeubert

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Cumberland, RI
Hi,
I am 2 days in to raising my first group of baby chicks. I have the brooder all set up and the chicks seem to be doing well so far. I have read a lot about different brooder set ups and am currently using a large cardboard box with puppy pads lining the bottom and paper towels on top of that. It has been working well except that I am having to change the paper towels quite often in order to keep it clean. And since paper towels are in high demand / hard to find at the moment I would like to put down pine shaving litter asap. I have read a few different things about when it is ok to add the pine litter to the brooder, but can't find anything definitive. Some people are saying wait 4 weeks and others say after day 3 is ok. Thanks in advance on any info. you can provide on this 😊

@wdeubert

I used pine shavings, the premium style bag from tractor supply, at day 2 and have had no issues. My birds are now pushing 5 weeks and happy as can be. Totally agree trying to find paper products right now is crazy.

D914AFBF-A0E9-4F9B-96D3-4DF8FC84B7E5.jpeg

Attachments

• 0402EEF4-992B-42E3-8201-A8295333FFDC.jpeg
    0402EEF4-992B-42E3-8201-A8295333FFDC.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 1
Remove paper towels and use pine shavings 3rd day. The paper towels or old sheet is to sprinkle feed on so they can find the food and learn to eat food and not the shavings. Also sprinkle grit over their food. Good luck.

Thanks! That's helpful. I guess some of the concern is that they might eat some of it by mistake while they're still learning how to eat, but they seem pretty savvy and are eating well so far. And it's been a few days with just paper towels so I think I'll probably go for it tomorrow!

Remove paper towels and use pine shavings 3rd day. The paper towels or old sheet is to sprinkle feed on so they can find the food and learn to eat food and not the shavings. Also sprinkle grit over their food. Good luck.
Thanks! I thought I read that grit was not necessary as long as you're feeding commercial chick starter feed?

Thanks! That's helpful. I guess some of the concern is that they might eat some of it by mistake while they're still learning how to eat, but they seem pretty savvy and are eating well so far. And it's been a few days with just paper towels so I think I'll probably go for it tomorrow!
Pine shavings are a lot cheaper then paper towels hahahaha

Thanks! I thought I read that grit was not necessary as long as you're feeding commercial chick starter feed?
Chick starter contains grit, so unless you feed treats they don't need it. Puppy pads work excellent in place of paper towels (I use the ones for people, lol) Mom hates it when I ask her to pick some up for me :lol:

I have always added grit. It was recommended by the company I received my chicks from.
It's not necessary. It also should be offered after a few days only since they can get impacted crops from eating too much of it. Only give it before offering treats. It should also not be mixed with feed, it should be put in a separate container and they shouldn't have access to it all the time until they are older.

Back
Top Bottom