When to add pine litter to the brooder?

wdeubert

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Cumberland, RI
Hi,
I am 2 days in to raising my first group of baby chicks. I have the brooder all set up and the chicks seem to be doing well so far. I have read a lot about different brooder set ups and am currently using a large cardboard box with puppy pads lining the bottom and paper towels on top of that. It has been working well except that I am having to change the paper towels quite often in order to keep it clean. And since paper towels are in high demand / hard to find at the moment I would like to put down pine shaving litter asap. I have read a few different things about when it is ok to add the pine litter to the brooder, but can't find anything definitive. Some people are saying wait 4 weeks and others say after day 3 is ok. Thanks in advance on any info. you can provide on this 😊

Chick starter contains grit, so unless you feed treats they don't need it.

I've never seen a starter mix that contains grit. As I brood outdoors I know the chicks are going to pick up stuff they shouldn't, so I provide grit immediately.

It's not necessary. It also should be offered after a few days only since they can get impacted crops from eating too much of it. Only give it before offering treats. It should also not be mixed with feed, it should be put in a separate container and they shouldn't have access to it all the time until they are older.

I do things a little different. I add a little to the feed once every few days to guarantee they get some... that also prevents them from gorging on it, as there isn't a container of it available.

Once they're old enough to be eating grower I no longer add grit to the feed and it's only offered on the side.

I have always added grit. It was recommended by the company I received my chicks from.
It's not necessary. It also should be offered after a few days only since they can get impacted crops from eating too much of it. Only give it before offering treats. It should also not be mixed with feed, it should be put in a separate container and they shouldn't have access to it all the time until they are older.

Mine never eat it out of the feed, they just leave it in the bottom. Maybe that's just my birds I guess? If they eat it out of the feeder then that would be great, mine just always pick around it though. I do provide it in a separate container and then they eat some. I give it maybe once a week or so, and one day before the day I give the birds treats. It's interesting to see how others do it

While they're little they seem to just blindly eat whatever's in front of them, so they do pick some up. Especially if I wet the feed, it just makes it harder for them to be picky

Once they're teens or adults, even if you try to "trick" them into eating some grit on top of the feed, they'll just throw it aside and keep eating (yes I tried it, I was curious... came back to find empty bowls with pieces of grit neatly sitting on the bottom :lol:).

If your birds are happy and healthy the way you've been doing it, absolutely no reason to change it up!

Attachments

• 20200420_210509.jpg
    20200420_210509.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 10
OK I'm going to be the black sheep here. I start my chicks on pine shavings from day one. :oops:

They find the food and water right away and enjoy scratching around in the shavings, but I don't see then eating it.

Same here, took each chick from the shipping container, dipped their beaks in water to get them drinking, and put them in the brooder with pine shavings only. Didn’t have to show them the feed, they found that quickly on their own after drinking.

Back
Top Bottom