When to add pine litter to the brooder?

OK I'm going to be the black sheep here. I start my chicks on pine shavings from day one. :oops:

They find the food and water right away and enjoy scratching around in the shavings, but I don't see then eating it.
We put ours on pine shavings right away too. Double-dipped their beaks to show the water then added the food a few hours later. No problems.

@wdeubert

I used pine shavings, the premium style bag from tractor supply, at day 2 and have had no issues. My birds are now pushing 5 weeks and happy as can be. Totally agree trying to find paper products right now is crazy.

D914AFBF-A0E9-4F9B-96D3-4DF8FC84B7E5.jpeg

Attachments

• 0402EEF4-992B-42E3-8201-A8295333FFDC.jpeg
    0402EEF4-992B-42E3-8201-A8295333FFDC.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 1
Remove paper towels and use pine shavings 3rd day. The paper towels or old sheet is to sprinkle feed on so they can find the food and learn to eat food and not the shavings. Also sprinkle grit over their food. Good luck.

Thanks! That's helpful. I guess some of the concern is that they might eat some of it by mistake while they're still learning how to eat, but they seem pretty savvy and are eating well so far. And it's been a few days with just paper towels so I think I'll probably go for it tomorrow!

Thanks! That's helpful. I guess some of the concern is that they might eat some of it by mistake while they're still learning how to eat, but they seem pretty savvy and are eating well so far. And it's been a few days with just paper towels so I think I'll probably go for it tomorrow!
Pine shavings are a lot cheaper then paper towels hahahaha

Remove paper towels and use pine shavings 3rd day. The paper towels or old sheet is to sprinkle feed on so they can find the food and learn to eat food and not the shavings. Also sprinkle grit over their food. Good luck.
Thanks! I thought I read that grit was not necessary as long as you're feeding commercial chick starter feed?

Back
Top Bottom