They came a day early!

Elaine06

Chirping
Jan 18, 2024
Agh! I'm new to chicks and my three came a day in the mail earlier than I expected. Its reading 84 degrees on my infrared thermometer under their heat plate. Is that warm enough?!? Air temp in the room is like 68F. I could set up a space heater I suppose.
I'm on my way to tractor supply so can pick up so can pick some supplies up if necessary. Will replace paper towels with wood shavings asap

Attachments

• 20240402_160637.jpg
    20240402_160637.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
You can use bedding right away but be aware that chicks may eat it. In which case grit should help with that. I've done both paper towels and assorted bedding (coarse aspen wood shavings, wood chips and other organic matter) and I think any of those work fine as long as you monitor how the chicks handle it.

Also FYI it’s recommended by a lot of experts to use paper towels for the 1st several days. It gives the babies better traction so they end up causing injury. You can swap out to bedding (not cedar) after a few days. I usually wait a week.
K, this is what my new set up is. I went and got a lamp cause I am just a nervous newbie. Now I'm scared I'll fry them. But they seem to be moving around more and pecking at stuff, and I saw some poops. I still feel like they aren't finding the water well. But I gave them the nutrient hydrogel meyer supplied

Attachments

• 20240402_220804.jpg
    20240402_220804.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 8
K, this is what my new set up is. I went and got a lamp cause I am just a nervous newbie. Now I'm scared I'll fry them. But they seem to be moving around more and pecking at stuff, and I saw some poops. I still feel like they aren't finding the water well. But I gave them the nutrient hydrogel meyer supplied
A lot of people do suggest using a lamp when chicks first arrive, but after a day or two they really do need a warm and cool area so they can decide for themselves where they're most comfortable. Like today was a warm 67F, my 1-week-old chicks barely touched their heating pad all day. They simply didn't need it.

It won't hurt to dip their beaks in the water again if they don't seem to be drinking well.

Back
Top Bottom