When to add pine litter to the brooder?

Chick starter contains grit, so unless you feed treats they don't need it.

I've never seen a starter mix that contains grit. As I brood outdoors I know the chicks are going to pick up stuff they shouldn't, so I provide grit immediately.

It's not necessary. It also should be offered after a few days only since they can get impacted crops from eating too much of it. Only give it before offering treats. It should also not be mixed with feed, it should be put in a separate container and they shouldn't have access to it all the time until they are older.

I do things a little different. I add a little to the feed once every few days to guarantee they get some... that also prevents them from gorging on it, as there isn't a container of it available.

Once they're old enough to be eating grower I no longer add grit to the feed and it's only offered on the side.

I've never seen a starter mix that contains grit. As I brood outdoors I know the chicks are going to pick up stuff they shouldn't, so I provide grit immediately.

I do things a little different. I add a little to the feed once every few days to guarantee they get some... that also prevents them from gorging on it, as there isn't a container of it available.

Once they're old enough to be eating grower I no longer add grit to the feed and it's only offered on the side.
Hm, my starter contains super tiny grit, but only enough to help them process the food.

Mine never eat it out of the feed, they just leave it in the bottom. Maybe that's just my birds I guess? If they eat it out of the feeder then that would be great, mine just always pick around it though. I do provide it in a separate container and then they eat some. I give it maybe once a week or so, and one day before the day I give the birds treats. It's interesting to see how others do it

Well I am on day 2 of 15 chickens and 10 turkeys together. Have one that seems to like to sleep on his back. This is my first flock. I have never owned a bird of any kind.

Attachments

• 20200424_091753.jpg
    20200424_091753.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom