When to allow them to wonder on their own

ReignamdLuna

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2017
Ihave to Pekin ducks that are, I would guess 6 or 7 weeks old. I was wondering when it'd be safe to allow them to roam around the yard alone without having to fear them being attacked by a preditor.

Oh and one more thing, when will or how many weeks more do I have to wait to be 100% sure about the gender? So far they appear to be females do I wait longer to confirm?

Thanks in advanced!

You can let them roam anytime. Under supervision is best if they haven't been outside yet, but if they have then they can roam freely in a pen once they are fully feathered. If you want to free range them, then do so when they are fully grown (12 weeks old or more). They can swim whenever they want now, too, if they are fully feathered. At 6-8 weeks, you should be able to tell the gender if you carry them away one at a time. Males and females make a different noise, but I can't remember which one peeps and which one does not.

Ihave to Pekin ducks that are, I would guess 6 or 7 weeks old. I was wondering when it'd be safe to allow them to roam around the yard alone without having to fear them being attacked by a preditor.

Oh and one more thing, when will or how many weeks more do I have to wait to be 100% sure about the gender? So far they appear to be females do I wait longer to confirm?

Thanks in advanced!
If they if they are quacking they are girls. If they still peep they are most likely boys. When the boy's get there voice change they sound hoarse.
You can never be truly sure they are safe from predators. A fox, dog, coyote, can easily kill an adult duck. Domestic ducks have no defenses. They are literally "sitting ducks".
As they get bigger they are safer from hawks and owls though. So, I started letting mine spend longer and longer outside during the day, inside a fence, when they were about the age of yours. I also put large branches and arbors up for them to sleep under to help prevent an attack from the air. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom