When to Assist Hatch?

pterry97

Songster
Apr 5, 2021
Hi all, I currently have a single mandarin duck egg incubating, we're now on day 31 of a supposed 28 day hatch cycle. I've candled the egg this morning and there is still movement inside, a mass has been protruding into the air sac cavity for the past 2 days, but not a single attempt at pipping. When do I take the initiative to assist hatching them out? I don't want them suffocating in there as they're my only remaining egg that survived. Will they dry out if I pop a tiny hole into the air sac to make sure they can at least breathe?

So, it's internally piped? If it is then you may want to assist soon, especially if it has been there for a while because it will run out of oxygen. You may want to try to pop a small hole, I don't think it will dry out. I would wait for a few other people to give advice too though. Good luck:)

So, it's internally piped? If it is then you may want to assist soon, especially if it has been there for a while because it will run out of oxygen. You may want to try to pop a small hole, I don't think it will dry out. I would wait for a few other people to give advice too though. Good luck:)
No pipping yet, I decided on puncturing a tiny hole and then candled it, and through the hole I can see that they still haven't internally pipped yet. Th shadow I could see in the air sac is just them pushing heavily against the membrane of the air sac, they're still wiggling about inside but they're taking such a long time to hatch. When do they risk survival being in the egg so long?

What was your temperature and humidity throughout incubation? Also have you used a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer inside the incubator to ensure absolute accuracy? An incubators onboard instruments many times will not be 100% accurate and incorrect temperature/humidity can and will delay a hatch.

Back
Top Bottom