When to buy chicks

luckycluk

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2014
Salisbury/Faith
I want get more chicks but not sure when to get them. I live in NC. I have a heat lamp n baby swimming pool. What type of bedding? Straw? I will have them in my house. I have a tractor coop along with my big coop n enclosed run. My little tractor coop is like 3 ft wide and 5-6 ft long. I plan on putting them in it inside my other chicken coop in the enclosed run area inside the little coop when they are able to not need the heat lamp for awhile. That way they will get to know my other hens. ( I only have two hens). My big chicken coop enclosed area is about 10-12 ft by 14 ft long. Any suggestions and guidance will be appreciated.

I want get more chicks but not sure when to get them. I live in NC. I have a heat lamp n baby swimming pool. What type of bedding? Straw? I will have them in my house. I have a tractor coop along with my big coop n enclosed run. My little tractor coop is like 3 ft wide and 5-6 ft long. I plan on putting them in it inside my other chicken coop in the enclosed run area inside the little coop when they are able to not need the heat lamp for awhile. That way they will get to know my other hens. ( I only have two hens). My big chicken coop enclosed area is about 10-12 ft by 14 ft long. Any suggestions and guidance will be appreciated.
I would say whenever YOU are ready, go ahead!

And hello fellow NC'er!

Hello from another Tar Heel! It sounds like you are ready to get them now. The weather has been nice and warm lately and by the time they are fully feathered we should be past the last frost date. I've gotten chicks in spring and fall with no problems. The last couple times have been the first week of May because of hatchery scheduling including the new ones set to arrive this year. I've brooded in the house, in the coop, and using a broody hen all with success between March-May here.

Back
Top Bottom