When to change feed types

Pics
May 19, 2018
Lynden,Wa
Was checking out when I should switch to a different feed. They (5 weeks old)are on Purinia Medicated chick feed. Bag says layer feed at 18 weeks. My question is do I go straight to layer pellets or do I switch to growth feed at 10 weeks, then to layer pellets?
The breeder I got them from said they keep them on the medicated chick feed until they lay their first egg, then switch to layer feed. They are getting a little scratch in the morning (about 1/8th of a cup).

No switch to an al flock feed at about 2mo,when they begin showing obvious signs of close to lay,switch to layer pellets.
Thank You! They are Golden Comets. Read that they can start laying as soon as 16 weeks. So in about 3 weeks (they will be 2 months), I'll switch them to flock feed. Then watch for squatting and switch to laying pellets.

It's up to you if you want to use a grower or all flock feed (or stay with chick feed) in the interim. I would take them off medicated before laying at least, I don't think it has any benefit past 10 weeks or so.

I do go from chick to grower to layer but I don't follow any exact numbers. As I run out of starter I switch to grower, and then layer once everyone's laying or very close to it.

I have three 2 year old Golden Comets and fed them medicated Start & Grow for 16 weeks, then mixed in a 18% layers pellet 50/50 for 2 weeks then straight layers pellet. I also mixed pellets with scratch grains to get them used to the pellets. They started to lay between 16 1/2 to 19 weeks.
I fed them a 18% Protein layers feed till 14/15 months old and switched to a 16% Layers feed with Flax. Within a month they started to look ragged and dull and they started feather picking. I switched back to a 18% Layers Feed and within a month the bad behavior stopped.
I have read that Duel Purpose hens need at least a 17% Protein feed.
I have also read that medicated feed with Amprolium is effective up to 10 weeks. My next batch of chicks will be changed to a Non-Medicated feed after 10 weeks.
I am currently feeding a Non-Medicated 18% Start & Grow feed to my three 2 year olds, with Oyster Shells in a separate container. Because I can get a 25# bag. A 40# bag of feed goes bad before its used up. GC

Everyone has their own opinions on when to switch feed. I stay with medicated starter till about two or three weeks from 18 weeks old or until I integrate my newbies with my current flock . Then I switch them to Flock raiser so the medicated feed has time to get out of their system before they start laying eggs. When they start to show signs of laying I switch to layers feed.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I also have questions about this and didn't think I should necessarily start another.

I have 12-week old pullets and cockerels. What do I feed when the bag of starter is gone? Also, they are currently given chick grit and have a50x50 free range area. They do eat the grit. Do hens and roosters need the same type of grit considering the calcium requirements of hens? Do I need a dish of oyster shells and a separate dish of grit,? Can I mix them in one dish? As you can see, I'm confused, lol..new spazzy chicken mom.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I also have questions about this and didn't think I should necessarily start another.

I have 12-week old pullets and cockerels. What do I feed when the bag of starter is gone? Also, they are currently given chick grit and have a50x50 free range area. They do eat the grit. Do hens and roosters need the same type of grit considering the calcium requirements of hens? Do I need a dish of oyster shells and a separate dish of grit,? Can I mix them in one dish? As you can see, I'm confused, lol..new spazzy chicken mom.
If your chickens are free range they do not need grit. Only give laying hens oyster shells. They only need the extra calcium when they are producing eggs. If you are out of the starter feed you can get more or switch to flock raiser till they start to lay eggs. When they start to lay switch them to layers feed and then offer them oyster shells in a separate container to eat if they need it. Everyone has their own opinions on what to feed and when but hope this helps. If you need more help on your new flock, I follow The Chicken Chick on facebook and online. Just do a google search on The Chicken Chick. She has tons of helpful no nonsense chicken care help.

Back
Top Bottom