When to cull a chick

Chickiebabyfluff

Yappette in Training
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
NorthEastern Ohio
I have a chick who is 5 days old he hatched with wry neck. i have given him polyvisol in his water and he is not any better....not any worse either. How long before i should see improvement? Do you cull a chick tht has wry neck? He isn't eating much but is drinking some. Mostly sleeps. I just don't want him to suffer. So what is the best thing to do for the chick wait this out or cull?

BrattishTaz

Roo Magnet
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
Tampa Area, Florida
Really young chicks usually respond pretty quickly but it can take a couple of weeks to completely recover. Try giving it the vitamins without water so you know he is ingesting enough. Just drop some on the side of her beak (about 2 drops twice a day). Stop feeding medicated chick starter during treatment because it blocks absorption. How long have you been treating?

Last edited:

BrattishTaz

Roo Magnet
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
Tampa Area, Florida
Quote:
Are you feeding medicated chick starter?

yes

I would switch it to regular chick starter and see if it helps. A little boiled egg yolk mashed with yogurt may help give the chick more strength.

BrattishTaz

Roo Magnet
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
Tampa Area, Florida
Quote:
yes

willl get it some regular chick food had no idea bout the medicated poor thing

fl.gif
I hope she improves. You will have to use your own judgement on whether it is suffering enough to cull.

Top Bottom