When to cull old hens??

Interesting thread. I love my girls and would never cull my original 3 (now 2) but I think realistically I'll have to be a bit more open to culling even hens as time goes on. I first need to get my head around doing the roos - I've got a too many roo ratio and it is silly. Just need to sort out with my neighbour to borrow a cone, have a lesson from her and do it!

Mine either! My "extra cockerels" are now 11 months old.
Glad I'm not hte only one - mine are about the same - maybe a month or younger! I'm new to it all and have too many roosters for my girls so really need to pull on my big girl pants and get on with it! I think cone is the way I'm going to go.
If they're much over 65 grams, they're going to give you trouble and I'd quit trying.
Why is that? I haven't heard about that before? I'll have to be careful with what I put in - some of mine lay quite big eggs (maybe up to 70g some days).

Thanks @LunaMarieWolf and all. There was a lot of information to consider in my own flock management. Some of mine are pets; some would probably taste good in soup.
That’s a good way to think. While I usually rotate my flock, every now and then, I end up with a hen that turns into a pet of sorts, or earns a pass for some other reason. My flock management is always changing.

In that case, if it were me... If you really want some chicks out of them, I would get something to add to their water like Nutri-Drench or there's a Rooster Booster product that's usually available in stores, for added vitamins and minerals. Also, get yourself a kitchen scale that weighs in grams and weigh the older girls' eggs. If they're much over 65 grams, they're going to give you trouble and I'd quit trying.
Can you please say more about this? I’m not sure which eggs are best put under a broody, and how does the weight of the egg affect hatching? Thank you in advance.

Can you please say more about this? I’m not sure which eggs are best put under a broody, and how does the weight of the egg affect hatching? Thank you in advance.
Overly large eggs can lead to more hatching issues than those between 55-65 grams. Really large eggs allow the chick to grow too large, and then it runs out of time to absorb the yolk sack. Doesn't always happen, but I don't risk it usually.

What do you mean which eggs to pick? Try to get clean ones that are within a few days of each other being laid and let her have them. Anything with defects should be left out unless you don't have enough eggs.

Overly large eggs can lead to more hatching issues than those between 55-65 grams. Really large eggs allow the chick to grow too large, and then it runs out of time to absorb the yolk sack. Doesn't always happen, but I don't risk it usually.

What do you mean which eggs to pick? Try to get clean ones that are within a few days of each other being laid and let her have them. Anything with defects should be left out unless you don't have enough eggs.
Thank you, that’s very helpful. I have several different breeds: WTB, WTG, Cochin, Welsummer, Dark Brahma, EE, OE, a standard Cochin roo, and a Buff Laced Polish roo. I’ve tried to choose the eggs that I know are fertilized by the Cochin (since I know his harem) and avoid the ones that the BLPolish fertilized. My goal is to produce dual purpose mixes, butchering the cockerels and replacing layers each year with a new generation.

OK so clearly I am a money pit. I have kept all my hens even past their laying time. I even take them to the vet when they are sick. I have some that are 10 years old so I am the last person to ask. I suppose it all about their purpose. Mine are also pets and I am very attached to them. I do think it's not about how "long" they live, but "how" they live while they do- and kill them quickly and humanly. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom