When to cull old hens??

How long do you pressure cook them? I've noticed the directions and recipes that came with mine tend to be a little optimistic, lol Dried beans in 7 minutes, ah no.

Cathy
Actually, yes, at high pressure(15psi) that's pretty close...can depend on the type of bean.

I cook old hens for about an hour, then save aside all the meat and cook the rest for another 2-3 hours for killer bone broth.

The key to harvesting your own layer birds is to rest the cleaned carcass in the fridge for 2-3-4 days...the older the bird, the longer you rest them. It makes huge difference.
Many people are put off from eating layer birds, or even homegrown meat birds, because they don't understand the need to rest the carcass. An unrested bird is unchewable, IMO.

Actually, yes, at high pressure(15psi) that's pretty close...can depend on the type of bean.

I cook old hens for about an hour, then save aside all the meat and cook the rest for another 2-3 hours for killer bone broth.

The key to harvesting your own layer birds is to rest the cleaned carcass in the fridge for 2-3-4 days...the older the bird, the longer you rest them. It makes huge difference.
Many people are put off from eating layer birds, or even homegrown meat birds, because they don't understand the need to rest the carcass. An unrested bird is unchewable, IMO.
Yum that sounds good! Usually when I do a pork roast or similar cut I do about an hour. The recipe for the cooker says 20 min...it might be DONE but it isn't succulent. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom