When to feed hens shells or oyster?

So my chickens are around the age of 18 weeks old. Still no eggs, (expected by 25 weeks). So should I put oyster shell in the coop yet? Or is it not necessary? Thanks.

Hens don't consume oyster shell and convert it into eggshells. Your hen uses her dietary calcium to strengthen her bones and virtually ever atom of calcium in every square MM of eggshell first made a scheduled stop in your hens' skeleton.

Keeping animals is a 365 day undertaking and they need what they need when they need it and not when it is convenient for us humans.

Sorry if you find my tone un PC but it is what it is

Hens don't consume oyster shell and convert it into eggshells.  Your hen uses her dietary calcium to strengthen her bones and virtually ever atom of calcium in every square MM of eggshell first made a scheduled stop in your hens' skeleton. 

Keeping animals is a 365 day undertaking and they need what they need when they need it and not when it is convenient for us humans.

Sorry if you find my tone un PC but it is what it is

I think what Sebloc is trying to ask is: since their hens are nearing the laying age but are not laying yet, is it necessary to put oyster out for them now or should they wait till the first egg is laid. I think that is a valid question. Especially for a new chicken owner who is in the process of learning.

I think what Sebloc is trying to ask is: since their hens are nearing the laying age but are not laying yet, is it necessary to put oyster out for them now or should they wait till the first egg is laid. I think that is a valid question. Especially for a new chicken owner who is in the process of learning.
Exactly.

I understand the question and you are 100% correct....... almost.

Chicken math happens to the best of us and next day, week, month, or year there may be a milty age flock were today there are only young pullets, so regardless of their age your birds should have a small can of oyster shell in front of them at all times..Same with grit, and if you use the more expensive MARBLE grit instead of the more common granite grit, you can get buy with only one can or container. However in the past I used oyster shell, and granite, as well a marble grit..

That way there is never any doubt about them having enough of the right stuff..

Last edited:
I understand the question and you are 100% correct....... almost.

Chicken math happens to the best of us and next day, week, month, or year there may be a milty age flock were today there are only young pullets, so regardless of their age your birds should have a small can of oyster shell in front of them at all times..Same with grit, and if you use the more expensive MARBLE grit instead of the more common granite grit, you can get buy with only one can or container.  However in the past I used oyster shell, and granite, as well a marble grit..

That way there is never any doubt about them having enough of the right stuff..

Thanks. So it sounds like you can start putting grit and oyster out at any age, as long as you provide them with:) appropriate food. They will eat what they need and avoid what they don't.

My barred rocks and New Hampshire reds did not start laying till they were 20 weeks. I am ow getting 4 eggs a day and suspect the number will grow by the day.i started feeding them layer pellets and oyster shell as soon as i got my first egg.

Back
Top Bottom